Managing my Cormorant - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Almico

#11: Post by Almico »

mkane wrote:You would think the people who manufacture this machine would have chosen an optimal TC location
It's uncanny how little all roaster manufacturers actually know about coffee roasting. The more expensive they get, the less usable they are out of the box. I just bought a used San Franciscan SF-75 and need to put $20k+ into it to get it to do what I need. If I bought a new one for $140K, I would still need to do the same.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by mkane »

That's not good news. We were just thinking about adding an SF-1 to the stable. I need to look closer and try and figure out what changes need to be implemented to make it worth while.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JohnB. »

mkane wrote:You would think the people who manufacture this machine would have chosen an optimal TC location
He did. The factory BT probe location is ideal for 300g-600g bean loads which is what the roaster is designed to roast. How many 600g roasters do well with 150-250g bean loads?
LMWDP 267

CarefreeBuzzBuzz
Supporter

#14: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Almico wrote:It's uncanny how little all roaster manufacturers actually know about coffee roasting. The more expensive they get, the less usable they are out of the box. I just bought a used San Franciscan SF-75 and need to put $20k+ into it to get it to do what I need. If I bought a new one for $140K, I would still need to do the same.

Curious are you going to try to fully automate it?
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Almico

#15: Post by Almico »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote: Curious are you going to try to fully automate it?
No. I'm not a fan of automation. I like roasting, not selecting a profile and pushing a button.

I need a VFD exhaust fan with digital magnehelic, better gas control (with digital magnehelic), better burner, probes for BT, ET, incoming air and all communicating real time, trackable adjustments to Artisan. I could probably do all this myself, but SF recommended a company that does their installs these days called Usonian. I had some long conversations with them over the phone and it was a joy talking to people that know what they are doing.

Almico

#16: Post by Almico »

Tried again this evening. 3 roasts...in order:

2nd roast with first in background

3rd roast with 2nd in background

On roast 2 and 3 I turned off the burner completely in between roasts. Still enough retained heat to induce turn around and then some.

Here's a shot of how close the drum paddles are to the edge of the drum:

Although the curves are still ugly, all 3 roasts measured 70 Agtron. I guess mission accomplished.

Takeaway, open the door in between roasts to reduce retained heat as much as possible to get turn around as low as possible. Gas off at charge.

I'll cup them tomorrow. Predictions: #1 will be a bit roasty, #3 will be a little less sweet.

Beeroclock

#17: Post by Beeroclock »

The design of the veins/paddles and their wave like shape means they loft the beans very effectively.

This results in less metal work in the drum. This does allow for good airflow through the drum, but makes it harder to get readings that aren't affected by airflow with lower charges.

The best results I have are with a probe bent right down and the tip sitting just above the radius of the veins in the 5 o'clock position. I have the older design with the stock analogue probe sitting below - which provides a nice resting/stop point to the k-type 2mm.Image

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZRm7OIXr_g[/youtube]

Almico

#18: Post by Almico »

Beeroclock wrote:The best results I have are with a probe bent right down and the tip sitting just above the radius of the veins in the 5 o'clock position. [/youtube]
I tried that but couldn't make it work well enough with 100g charges. I'm currently using this configuration. This is 250g. It seems to keep the probe in the bean mass, but I think the speed of the 2mm probe results in a lot of noise. I think I need a 3mm.

Beeroclock

#19: Post by Beeroclock »

Looks like the tip is coming into contact with the drum?

Almico

#20: Post by Almico » replying to Beeroclock »

If it was, there would likely be much less noise. It's not. The beans keep it off the drum. It's not hitting the door either.