Low tech roaster SCR-300

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mainframer

Postby mainframer » Mar 14, 2019, 6:43 am

Since 2002, I've been roasting about 5 half-pounds per week. My fifth roaster needed $600-$1100 for repair or replacement, and I looked for a low tech,inexpensive replacement. I can see where a machine with a circuit board, moving parts, and high heat has expense and longevity issues.

I found the SCR-300 (301 is 240 volt model). It is essentially a hot plate with a rheostat and turntable motor that spins two arms back and forth. I have completed about 50 roasts with it and am satisfied with its output. I roast outside and just into second crack - takes about 23 minutes.

My last two roasters had more difficult clean-up processes - the SCR-300 clean-up takes about 1 minute.

TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Mar 14, 2019, 8:20 am

Is the 23 minutes just for the roast time, or cooling and other work too? If not, you might try a lower charge weight. 23 minutes is a long baking of coffee. If you subjectively enjoy it as is, then, no problem. But I'd recommend trying to hit your desired degree of roast in much less time and see how you like them compared to each other.

mainframer

Postby mainframer » Mar 15, 2019, 5:01 am

The unit instructions, if I understand them correctly, call for (all Celsius) 140 at 10 minutes, 180 at 5 minutes, 210 at 5 minutes. I have modified this to 140 at 10 minutes, 190 at 5 minutes, 230 until done. The beans sizzle when I dump them out onto a perforated pan. The Subjective opinions from me and my signficant other are that this is working better than previous roasters for us. We have a Bonavita BV1900TS for 1-2 pots per day, and I use a clever dripper once a week. Coffee from Sweet Marias.