Looking for an affordable thermocouple thermometer to use with Artisan on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
victorlinguist

#1: Post by victorlinguist »

Hi guys,
I am looking for a thermocouple thermometer (<$80) that I can buy to use Artisan on my mid-2010 Macbook pro (OS X Yosemite). I am not sure which devices would be compatibles with Macs. I am currently looking at the Center 301 and the Mastech MS6514. I have heard the Mastech is not compatible with OS X and I am not sure about the Center 101. What do you guys say? By the way, I am thinking of using a max of 2 thermocouples only. Thanks!

SJM

#2: Post by SJM »

Your price parameters seem to be changing
http://lists.mokelbu.de/pipermail/artis ... 01030.html

Are you expecting to find the thermocouples AND the readers for under those dollar amounts or just the reader?

The 301 will only take one thermocouple, for example, and will cost at least $100.
A Phidget will take up to four and will cost about the same.
Thermocouples will be extra.

robmatic

#3: Post by robmatic »

Well both the Mastech and Center are in the list of devices under config, so ostensibly have been tested on all platforms (mac, linux, windows).

Perhaps Marko could comment on whether my supposition is true.

SJM

#4: Post by SJM »

robmatic wrote:Well the Mastech is in the list of devices under config, so ostensibly it has been tested on all platforms (mac, linux, windows).
I guess the OP hasn't done is homework.
Good point Rob Gardner.

day

#5: Post by day »

A user with a MacBook posted and helped me learn howtonconnect my mastech, though I do not have a Mac his information worked for my issue. The mastech is great, and looks like it should work.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

robmatic

#6: Post by robmatic »

SJM wrote:I guess the OP hasn't done is homework.
To be fair to OP, it sounds like he wants to hear some confirmation before spending the money. A quick google search doesn't turn up much to help out so it would be nice to hear from at least one person who says "yes, I've done that, it all works."

SJM

#7: Post by SJM »

So you think the burden should be on Marko to reassure the OP rather than on the OP to do the research?
Okay....
I disagree but that doesn't mean you are wrong.

robmatic

#8: Post by robmatic »

I wouldn't say burden. But if it were me, I wouldn't mind giving some reassurance. I'm just not sure if a device appears in config list if that means it is definitely supported and tested on all platforms. If there is something written down someplace that makes that statement explicitly, then that's great, and the question can be answered definitively.

victorlinguist (original poster)

#9: Post by victorlinguist (original poster) »

Wow, thanks for the mostly great answers, guys!
The OP (me) has been doing extensive research on this topic for 3 days now, including posting on several forums and calling the companies. Mastech says it does NOT work on Macs, and Center Tek is not sure. Robmatic, you are completely correct. All I am looking for is for someone to reassure me it will work on my Mac, since this info is nowhere to be found (not on the Artisan website or anywhere else). The artisan just mentions compatible devices and says the SOFTWARE works on a Mac, not the THERMOMETERS. I would like to avoid spending money on something that I will not be able to use. So, while the burden of research is one me and has been done (and is being done by posting here), I still think that as a community, where are willing to take each other's "burden" when we see the person has done their homework. SJM, my parameters are an estimate, and not "changing" as you put it. I am willing to spend the least it takes for something that will work, that's all and I have seen it can be done for less than $70:
http://www.gearbest.com/measurement-ana ... 93245.html
If anyone can help (RobMatic and Day, thanks a lot!), please do let me know. Marko, I do not want to burden you at all, but you might be one of the best to answer on this issue. Thanks in advance.

day

#10: Post by day replying to victorlinguist »

If you want to wait for this weekend I can test it out on my dad's Mac
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone