Light Roasts on the Bullet R1

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
false1001

#1: Post by false1001 » Jun 08, 2019, 7:24 pm

Splitting this off from the "What is a light roast" thread...

After wasting roasting through another 10lb I think I have a handle on a decent light roast starter profile inspired by some of the feedback I got in that thread. I'm doing sort of a mini soak, then blasting it with heat, finishing on a high heat and using fan speed increases towards the end. Today I did two roasts of a tricky Burundi that has a lot of subtle flavors and has very finicky top notes depending on drop temp. Encouraged, I then tried a highly rated Yirga Cheffe (Gedeb Asasa) that I'd always been able to get good roasts out of on my DIY roaster, but never any great roasts.

Burundi #1: https://roast.world/r/q~w_bNgGimZ_UDaTq2OGB
Burundi #2: https://roast.world/r/zmlFhgMn8FQZ_Vz4vbo0r
Yirga Cheffe: https://roast.world/r/b_BtUz4LGDNoR0zehkQSW

I would say I'm mildly optimistic. The Burundi roasts both gave off a sweet, slightly creamy, aroma that I was used to smelling from light roasts with my previous roaster, with the second being a very even roast with puffy beans. The yirga cheffe came out pretty uneven in color and had 10-15 quakers in it but smelled just as good as the other two roasts. I'll write up my cupping results tomorrow morning. I plan on doing a couple more roasts tomorrow and dropping the fan to 1, or even 0 during the soak phase to increase humidity in the drum when I crank up the heat.

Two asides: 1) I'm starting to question the decision to not include an ET probe by default with the Bullet. 2) While I do appreciate the slick interface, polished integrations, and online roast sharing of RoasTime I sincerely miss Artisan. I'm going to stick to RoasTime until I fully understand the roasting mechanics of the Bullet, but what I wouldn't give to have background roasts and the "interpolate" feature from Artisan.

wayneg1

#2: Post by wayneg1 » Jun 08, 2019, 8:32 pm

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but RoasTime does have a background function, it's called Overlay. It also has a playback function that is pretty cool as well as the newly added recipe function. I use Artisan with my Phoenix gas roaster and I do think it's a great tool. RoasTime is definitely a work in progress but it's moving in the right direction.

MaKoMo

#3: Post by MaKoMo » Jun 09, 2019, 1:51 am

false1001 wrote: Two asides: 1) I'm starting to question the decision to not include an ET probe by default with the Bullet. 2) While I do appreciate the slick interface, polished integrations, and online roast sharing of RoasTime I sincerely miss Artisan. I'm going to stick to RoasTime until I fully understand the roasting mechanics of the Bullet, but what I wouldn't give to have background roasts and the "interpolate" feature from Artisan.
Why not just keep on using Artisan. The Bullet is supported. You only need to install the legacy USB driver.

pafcio0

#4: Post by pafcio0 » Jun 09, 2019, 2:50 am

Pretty strange, that you're having 1st crack so late considering running on P9 for so long...
Take a look at my light roasted, decent tasting Ethiopia Chire washed (560g)- https://roast.world/r/l6egACFfQy3ip78IUKBOB

false1001

#5: Post by false1001 » Jun 09, 2019, 12:08 pm

wayneg1 wrote:Maybe I'm misunderstanding but RoasTime does have a background function, it's called Overlay.
Interesting, i'll look into it. Really sucks how outside of the excellent user manual there's really no official documentation on the Bullet or RoasTime.
MaKoMo wrote:Why not just keep on using Artisan. The Bullet is supported. You only need to install the legacy USB driver.
I've tested it out a couple times with the Bullet already. It overall works very well, almost plug and play on linux (and I didn't have to install the legacy drivers). I just want to stick to one thing at a time... when I first started data logging a year ago some bad artisan settings lead me down the wrong path once or twice so I want to really get a feel for the Bullet and start getting consistent results before I go back. I'm also waiting for the new 2.0 Bullet PCB and for the Bullet firmware to stabilize. This all reminds me though, i've been meaning to report a couple bugs with importing RoasTime profiles, I'll try and get those up for you today.
pafcio0 wrote:Pretty strange, that you're having 1st crack so late considering running on P9 for so long...
Take a look at my light roasted, decent tasting Ethiopia Chire washed (560g)- https://roast.world/r/l6egACFfQy3ip78IUKBOB
I'm dropping ~60 degrees lower, have a higher drum speed, am increasing the fan earlier, and have a soak period at the beginning... although you are charging a bit more weight so who knows

false1001

#6: Post by false1001 » Jun 09, 2019, 12:21 pm

Cupping results:

Burundi #1
Score: 77.25
Description: Pretty disappointing. Roasty, with some hints of fruit, sweetness, small amount of brightness.

Burundi #2
Score: 71.25
Description: Really disappointing. Roasty, almost non-descript

Yirga Cheffe
Score: 90.5
Description: Really damn good. Lime, floral, jasmine. All flavor notes I was having trouble getting when I roasted it on my old roaster. Really pumped for this one.

I also threw in a roast I've been meaning to cup but just been lazy about... a midrange Colombian almost a full week off roast. This bean is an old standby I've roasted a lot... usually flavor notes of berries, jam, with a good amount of bittersweetness and body. Usually described as "juicy" by people I serve it to.
Colombia HP
Score: 87
Description: This roast was surprisingly good, very similar to old roasts but more "rounded" with the fruity notes and the bittersweetness was more balanced

This was one of my Artisan roasts, here's the profile:

Hasty conclusions: Maybe it's been the RoR spikes right before 1C that have been killing me, as both roasts that had that characteristic ended up roasty like my previous ones. I guess it's a tricky balance to try and get through Maillard with enough speed but also reduce momentum so RoR still drops right before 1C. Also I might have been unfairly blaming long Maillard times... the Colombia spent half the roast during the Maillard phase and I couldn't detect any roastiness during cupping.

winslette

#7: Post by winslette » Jun 09, 2019, 1:29 pm

This is excellent, I was hoping to have a split topic for light roasting on the Bullet. What is more, I am actually in the process of having the same Burundi bean for about the past 3 weeks. I have a 220v V2 Bullet, and these roasts were done without the new fan speed calibration.
Burundi Roast 1 (13% weight loss)
https://roast.world/r/3n20s74ejP70ZaiwrbWwy
Score: 84
Notes: Nice sweetness, well developed, slight fruitiness (can't really pinpoint specifically), before roasty finish.

Burundi Roast 2 (12% weight loss)
https://roast.world/my/roasts/Isg1KXjZ2Q37p74hK3ltt
Score: 86
Notes: Nice sweetness, well developed, not much fruitiness (can't really pinpoint specifically), more juicy than #1 and with more floral characteristics, before roasty finish.

My first roast was a lot less crashy than the second (I am guessing because i upped fan and dropped power at the same time in the second roast). I do not have much experience cupping, so any scores I give will be relative to some of the best coffee I have had. All of my scores are from using the V60 02. This bean was slightly frustrating because of the roasty finish from both tries. I wish there was a link between VST coffee app or wish Aillio had a similar app that could link your roasts, that would be very cool. I used an EK43s from 9-10.5 with varying extractions from 19-22% and found the roast aftertaste persisted in all extractions. I found the higher extractions around 22% (1.46 TDS I believe) to be the best due to the heavier florals. Even at higher extractions the roastiness didn't increase or decrease much. I'll also add to the delayed 1C question, soaking has a huge impact on time to 1C from what I have seen with my roasts. Pretty much at low power you delay 1C by about how long you soak for.

Sidebar: I do wish that they also included an ET, hopefully a software update in the future will provide it since they have to filter it out of the IRBTS. Also, I wish they would allow some ROR smoothing because it seems to plot at roughly at 3-5 Hz which is a little silly. That and as I said earlier, I wish they had an extraction app or add on where you could select your roast, would be super easy for them to do and provide tons of information.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster » Jun 09, 2019, 2:55 pm

I love seeing more Bullet roaster topics in H-B. I really don't like using Facebook and I'm not sure how I feel about posting my true feelings on Aillio's own forum. I also haven't calibrated the fan yet.

As for the IBTS, I think they're filtering out the Drum temp from the Bean temp, they don't have an actual ET probe. There's a way to hook up an exhaust temp probe (exit temp), but it's involved and requires contacting Aillio to avoid voiding the warranty. (you need to remove the exhaust tube that runs along the top of the roaster)

Trying a 883 gram batch of Ethiopia today (pre-heating at 295 C on a V1.5 120 V Bullet) as I finish off this green coffee. Largest batch so far. I haven't tried the soak yet, still need to read up on how to do that before trying it out and comparing it to how I'm roasting now. Going to be 95F today, trying to roast before it gets too hot, it's already 80F in my garage.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

happycat

#9: Post by happycat » Jun 09, 2019, 3:27 pm

yakster wrote:I love seeing more Bullet roaster topics in H-B. I really don't like using Facebook and I'm not sure how I feel about posting my true feelings on Aillio's own forum.
Get serious Chris! I need to see a selfie of you and your roaster and a post of how you're "killing it!"
LMWDP #603

yakster
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by yakster » Jun 09, 2019, 4:15 pm

I wouldn't say I'm killing it. My last Sumatra batch I took too far and it was ashy. This 884 gram batch the ROR was pretty flat and I may have pooched the roast. I'm on roast 21 and am still in the learning phase.

Sumatra

Ethiopia Uraga

Here's your selfie and a photo of my StirChef in the cooling tray tackling the 754 gram roasted coffee like a champ. I think I'm going to have to try wrapping the plastic stir vane in foil because I notice that it's starting to deform a bit from the high temp of the large batch. When dumping the beans, I find that opening the drum door only partially helps keep all the beans in the cooling tray (my foil bean guides also help).

-Chris

LMWDP # 272