Light Roast: The Smell of Raw Beans?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
RAILhead

Postby RAILhead » Feb 13, 2018, 11:39 am

Hey all, I have a super-general question...

We're trying to get a consistent light roast from some Colombian beans in our Behmor, stopping right at the end of C1.

Roast details:
Colombian, Pitalito
340g (our usual and always works well)
C1 Start: 13:45
C1 End: 14:40
14% reduction from raw to roasted beans

After resting for 12-24 hours, the beans maintain a tinge of the "raw bean" smell when you smell the roasted beans. Is this normal? As for flavor, it's nice: bright, fruity, acidity seems right — I'm just not sure about being able to still smell the raw bean scent.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Randy G.

Postby Randy G. » Feb 13, 2018, 1:06 pm

As a general comment only, when there is a question about a specific roaster, merely mentioning the cycle used is only relevant to others who use that roaster and only those who use that cycle. You greatly diminish the amount of assistance you could possibly receive. Beans is beans and heat is heat, and time is time. There are a lot of folks (dare I say more) who roast coffee in other devices and know roasting well enough that they could assist if more info was available. I know that there is limited data available to share from some roasting devices, and with others nearly none, but even some basics like mass of beans being roasted, time to beginning of 1st, to end of 1st, to beginning of 2nd, and total roast time, and to some lesser extent, what is the origin or blend all might generate additional assistance.
Espresso! My Espresso!
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com

ira

Postby ira » Feb 13, 2018, 2:07 pm

The real question is how do they taste. And consistency from a Behmor is at best a challenge as you have essentially no control over what's happening or feedback on progress.

Ira

RAILhead

Postby RAILhead replying to ira » Feb 13, 2018, 2:46 pm

They taste great, to be honest -- I've just never noticed other light roasts having a hint of the raw smell, thus the general question.

yakster

Postby yakster » Feb 13, 2018, 4:33 pm

Interesting question, I guess it may depend on what your raw green coffee smells like. Most of the green coffee I've roasted smelled pretty much the same, but I've had Panama Elida Natural green coffee that smelled so good and fruity that I'd be happy to keep those smells once roasted.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Sponsored by intelligentsiacoffee.com
www.intelligentsiacoffee.com: home of the black cat project