Hottop KN-8828B-2K+ roaster. Was anybody able to control it using Artisan's 1.0 internal PID?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
DaumierS

#1: Post by DaumierS »

I've seen some not very explanatory posts from people who were able to use PID to control the BT temperature curve they want. But they all seem to use an extra Arduino chip that has PID. This would require drilling the hole in the roaster to insert an extra thermocouple.

Now, it is already about 1/2 year since Artisan ver 1.0 has a software PID option. However, nobody reported success so far... Can you design a BT temperature curve, and then use the Artisan software to force KN-8828B-2K+ to follow that curve?

Any reports or comments would be appreciated.

leftiesrule

#2: Post by leftiesrule »

I tried this out several times and while I was able to get the software PID "working", I couldn't figure out good PID values to use, etc. It seemed to me that the heating elements are just too slow to respond.

The first experiment I did certainly didn't follow a background BT curve.

The second experiment I just tried keeping a stable temperature before dropping the coffee in. I noticed a lot of overshoot and undershoot.

I probably didn't give it enough of a chance and was probably doing something wrong. If anybody else has some advice that'd be great.

If you need any help with getting the PID controls to popup lemme know and I can go back and figure out how I did it. It certainly wasn't all that straightforward...

DaumierS (original poster)

#3: Post by DaumierS (original poster) »

leftiesrule wrote:If you need any help with getting the PID controls to popup lemme know and I can go back and figure out how I did it. It certainly wasn't all that straightforward...
Exactly, if you have time, please post instructions on how to get the Artisan PID working, and I will start from there, and post back about my experience with snapshots. I talked to someone who teaches and does research in control, and he told me that the delay in controlling the heating element should not be a problem, generally. Anyway, I'd like to give it a try, your help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

SJM

#4: Post by SJM »

You have probably already seen this commentary from Marko on the use of the Artisan PID with the Hottop, but just in case:

Artisan built in PID controlling roast profile

leftiesrule

#5: Post by leftiesrule »

Ok here's a quick and dirty summary of how I get the PID dialog box to come up:

1) Assuming you want to follow some sort of background, load up a background from an .alog file or draw one
2) Right click on the timer to turn on super user
3) Hold down the CTRL key and left click the Control button. On my keyboard only the right CTRL key works

Now you should have the PID control box popup and can fiddle around with it as you please.

I hope this works for you. FYI I installed Artisan 1.0 when it was beta.