Kaldi Fortis with Center 306- Decided!

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CoffeeBasta

#1: Post by CoffeeBasta »

Long time lurker first time poster. Thanks to everyone that shared there posts and experiences with different roasters. I have pulled the lever on the Kaldi Fortis and it's on it's way. A special thanks to William B. For his review. I am feeling good about this and am confident choosing this over the Hulky, even though I learned it was named after the creators Husky.

Thanks again to everyone that shared this is very appreciated.

Good bye Behmors

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

If you haven't ordered the center 306 yeah I would really recommend you look at the Phidgets unless you have the expertise to use the center 306. Phidgets is just easy with Artisan.

Congratulations on your new purchase.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Advertisement
CoffeeBasta (original poster)

#3: Post by CoffeeBasta (original poster) »

Already ordered on the way. It is my understanding that the 306 has an output to usb. I was planing on running it to a laptop to run artisan. From what I gathered I could have saved $90 and ordered the 301 version and wired in a phiget to a computer. I thought it may be cleaner than splicing in a phiget or replacing the probes.

I would love any advice to get it hooked up to artisan properly. Thanks for the advice

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#4: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Did you order the USB cable with it?

The Center devices have very unique USB cables.

I am sure it will be fine. I understand that you need the correct driver. I believe the Macs already have them but you need to find them for Windows.

Phidgets are easier and allow expansion to other measurements at low cost.
Center's own webpage doesn't seem to help users.

That was the reason for me posting here for others choosing the Kaldi or Fortis. Trying to encourage people to look more closely at this decision.

So make sure you get all you need for this device, including software, drivers, cables etc.

Thanks.
Artisan.Plus User-

littlenut

#5: Post by littlenut »

CoffeeBasta wrote:Already ordered on the way. It is my understanding that the 306 has an output to usb. I was planing on running it to a laptop to run artisan. From what I gathered I could have saved $90 and ordered the 301 version and wired in a phidget to a computer. I thought it may be cleaner than splicing in a phidget or replacing the probes.

I would love any advice to get it hooked up to artisan properly. Thanks for the advice
I have a 301 and run Artisan on Windows. I do not know the difference with a 306. Mine did not come with a USB cable. Also, the 301 runs on std 9V and did not come w/ an AC adapter for the 301. Check the thread linked below.

Artisan and Kaldi Fortis

What's your OS?
Does your 306 come with a USB cable?

HTH,
-LN

hankua
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by hankua »

Nothing wrong with using a meter for roasting, and it has one big advantage. You can easily roast without datalogging gear or computers. That being said if the OP were to upgrade, maybe the RTD Phidget and PT probe would be something to consider?

CoffeeBasta (original poster)

#7: Post by CoffeeBasta (original poster) »

I intend to run this on a pc or mac whatever is easy. I did not order the data cable, I will look into sourcing that. I have seen setups where the data logger thermometer are bypassed and a phiget is used I will also look into that. I was hoping for a out of the box setup but maybe the phiget is best.

I can't tell if the setup I ordered from Kaldi comes with the cable to connect the center 306 to a laptop via: RS232 Interface (9600-8N1), is this cable included I will just wait and see I guess.

Advertisement
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#8: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Nathan,

they are very specialized cables, so if he hasn't shipped, reconsider adding one, or consider dropping the Center and sourcing the phidgets yourself.
You can still get the thermocouples. Happy to help you get going with the Phidgets if you go that way.
Artisan.Plus User-

mtbizzle

#9: Post by mtbizzle »

Where did you purchase the fortis from? Never really got a sense of where the prices were best. A wide or fortis is pegged as my "I'm ready to dump money into this and take it to the next level" roaster :D
"All people by nature desire to know" -Aristotle

littlenut

#10: Post by littlenut replying to mtbizzle »

DISCLAIMER: I purchased a solid drum Fortis 12/18. I have no experience w/ vendors since.

I strongly suggest doing your due diligence and start w/ reviewing the threads on this forum if you haven't already.

I bought mine on e-bay from manufacturer due to best price at the time. It was packaged and shipped from S. Korea. Amazon was also an option and iirc as well as a Korean auction site. Since then I have come across this site that appears to be the MFG. https://eng.homecaffe.net/category/products/223/ I have been eyeing the cyclone separator to add-in and use my chaff collector solely as a dump cooler. I think I saw a vacuum gage on the site.

You'll also need a burner, fittings, gage. Others have modified/replaced their burner stands to reduce inlet air flow. Also, there are other similar roasters (Huky, Aillio Bullet come to mind) you may want to look at. The next upgrade would be to the small professional sample roasters.

HTH,
-LN