Is Roast Uniformity Overrated? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
N3Roaster

#11: Post by N3Roaster »

Are you the same N3Roaster that has a YouTube channel?
Yes. All the N3Roaster accounts elsewhere that I'm aware of are me, including that one.

ThomasCee

#12: Post by ThomasCee »

Fascinating! I love your content, love hearing how you think and analyze everything. I have learned alot from them, and have watched them over and over again.

Okay, sorry to get off topic.
Back on topic, I heard a guy reference since he was in the business of cupping and roasting, it was easy to taste coffee "looking" for defects, and he tried to keep the mindset that his favorite cup was the cup his wife brewed for him that morning; and his co-host replied with "yes, I tell people my favorite cup was the cup I brewed myself this morning".

It just helped me, because even my B- level roasts have been enjoyable to learn from.
That being said however, when my roasts turn out very even, I am extremely pleased :)

farmroast

#13: Post by farmroast »

In general I think it is underrated in pro. roasting. Most commercial drum roasters weren't designed for the quality and precision of today's specialty coffee and light roasting. And many aren't even adjusted in rpm to best speed for the fin design they have. So often beans are well picked/sorted for only ripe and sometimes screened to similar size, but you still end up with a melange roast.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

Rangen

#14: Post by Rangen »

I can see why you would ask the question, and there's a definite point there.

My first 40 roasts or so were done in a hand-cranked whirlypop. Uniformity of roast was a distant dream then, and every roast would have some almost-burned beans, and some yellow beans that caused my grinder to complain. Did those roasts have a wild, complex, untamed quality, that is no longer present in the more-uniform roasts I turn out now, on much better equipment? I think so, but I do not completely trust my memory.

If so, I do not regret the loss, because what I lost in wildness, I gained in reproducibility, which is essential to the "change one thing and see how it affects the coffee" experimentation that now animates my roasting journey, and the quest to get all I can out of a given bean.

Still, if I could have both, I would be tempted.

ThomasCee

#15: Post by ThomasCee »

I just can't wait to start playing with a drum roaster with proper controls as opposed to an air popper :oops:
It's run off of a variac and a volt meter, and produces relatively uniform roasts, but sheeshhhh.... It an air popper for crying out loud :!: :!:

nickthorpie

#16: Post by nickthorpie »

Haha, I think a lot about this, and my answer is two-fold.

So first, lately I've been exploring how inconsistency affects the cup in a positive way. For example, when using a sifter, I have discovered that uniform grind introduces clarity in place for complexity. Fines provide depth, sweetness, and winey flavours, while boulders yield bright acidity. With roasting, a wider spectrum does the same thing, increases complexity in trade for clarity.

I have started selling what I call an "omni-roast" with my natural processed ethiopian. It's a 50-50 split of light and medium. I like this because I can get the crazy strawberry/blueberry notes that are preserved with a
light roast, and market it to less adventerous customers.
I also find it amazing for espressos, because having a robust medium in the mix significantly cuts down on channeling that you'd get with a light roast.