Is the noise from my new Huky normal?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Jasper_8137

#1: Post by Jasper_8137 »

Hello all - just got my new Huky delivered yesterday! I'm still waiting on my phidget so have not roasted on it yet but wanted to see how it works so put some green beans in it to see how it turns. When no beans are in it, the drum turns smoothly without much noise. With beans, it "knocks" intermittently regardless the amount of beans (tried with 200 and 500 g). The entire machine gives a slight shimmy with the knock. It seems like the beans may be hitting the probes (BT most likely). Is this normal to the Huky or is there a defect in my roaster?
Thanks for the help.

Jasper_8137 (original poster)

#2: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) »

Just to clarify, it seems like the drum gets "jammed" as the motor labors with the "clunks" then speeds up again. When this happens, the machine gives a shimmy. I'm wondering if the beans are jamming against something (maybe the drum and front plate or around the trier). I haven't fired up the IR burner yet so maybe this will resolve once it's hot and things expand a bit? Has anyone else noted this?

RobertL

#3: Post by RobertL »

I would email Mr.Li and explain the issues. Also you could try searching the Huky forum. I think I remember this coming up before and there being a way to adjust the alignment.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by hankua »

Fire it up and do a dry run heating to 200c and see what happens. It's probably not hitting the BT probe or tryer, although they could be removed for a test. Another thing to look at is if there's some play in the drum fore and aft, which you can check by flipping the roaster over. While it's upside down it can be run and observed if there's any obvious interference, or if something's loose.

The solution for too much play I think are shims, although that shouldn't happen with a new machine. Mr. Li can advise the proper size and thickness of adjustment shims. McMaster-Carr has metric shims : https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-wash ... s/=1ab7iic

edtbjon

#5: Post by edtbjon »

Just to fill in on Hank's answer. What happens if you dry run the roaster with no heat is not really important. The tolerances of the roaster isn't right and you wouldn't run the roaster without heat in a real situation anyhow. Heat the roaster up and let it run for say half an hour with the heat at 0.5kPa. You can take down the heat down to an absolute minimal after 15 minutes as the roaster should be fully heated by then. At this point you have the roaster running at roasting temps with the tolerances you will work with.

#6: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for the input - I fired the roaster up as advised and the noise decreased as you all thought it would. Even though I had no way to gauge the temp (I only have thermocouples and my phidget isn't here yet) I decided to drop 300 g and roast purely on sight, sound and smell. I was happy to note that the knock that was present earlier is now gone. Took the roast just into 2nd crack after about 12 minutes - it looks and smells great!
Can't wait to get artisan up and running and really start playing with roasts!
Thanks again for the advice - it is much appreciated.

LDT

#7: Post by LDT »

I've had my Huky several years, three, maybe four. I shimmed the motor shaft with a piece of cardboard to solve the issue of chaff dropping onto the burner from faceplate. Once I sucked the cardboard shim into the vacuum I didn't replace it because the problem seemed to reduce over time. Regarding the knocking noise you initially heard, I still hear those noises from time to time and attribute it beans getting stuck momentarily, so don't be surprised if you do encounter it. It has never been a problem for me. I should add that I replaced the analog probe with a TC so my Phidget is reading at three locations. You probably don't need to be told, but do remember to keep the ceramic bearings lubricated. Enjoy your roaster?

#8: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) »

Yes - definitely enjoying it! I just received my Phidget and got everything set up (huge thanks to Susan for posting the phidget setup docs on the Huky forum). Just roaster some espresso monkey - the roast was a bit on the long side but I'm sure will still be great! I'm really looking forward to dialing everything in.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by hankua »

If you haven't already, don't forget to remove the protective film.

#10: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) »

The lighting makes it look as if the film is still on, but it is not - would have been a smelly mess had I fired it up with it still on!