Is anyone still roasting with the RK Drum Roaster

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
milnerb1

#1: Post by milnerb1 »

I have owned many roasters over the years starting with popcorn poppers, Café Rosto, Original Behmor, and the RK Roasting Drum. I love the RK drum and set up a weber grill specifically for roasting on it. The challenge I have faced is that it is a bit of an ordeal to roast...pull out the roaster, setup a cooling station, get out the vacuum for chaff.. etc. Are many folks using the RK Drum still?

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

I used mine for 2 summers and it has been gathering dust. I found heat control a huge challenge. Maybe it was me, maybe it was the setup. Mine is a 4#'er and it is going on Craigslist, probably next Spring. Not much demand this time of year for one up here.
-----
LMWDP #339

Advertisement
milnerb1 (original poster)

#3: Post by milnerb1 (original poster) »

Yes. Rapid heat control can be a bit of a challenge. I set up a thermocouple to get good temp readings and controlled heat with the flame height. It is a bit like steering a ship vs. turning in a sport car. I've gotten excellent results for years though and have been very happy with the roaster overall.

Coffeecityzen

#4: Post by Coffeecityzen »

Yes I am,. I've been using it for around 3 years and it's been good. I wouldn't call myself good and never attempt any fruity African coffees. Do u ever roast Africans? Hows ur Cooling station set up?

Boldjava

#5: Post by Boldjava »

Cooling? I built a box the size of a standard house box fan. Incorporated some screen. Works ideally, draped over the arms of my favorite summer chair. First the fan drawing air, then the box with the beans.
-----
LMWDP #339

draino

#6: Post by draino »

I have had mine for about 9-10 years and probably use it monthly for 2-4 and sometimes 5 lb roasts. Agree with comments about controlling the heat. I have a Huky which is great; you always know where the roast is. Despite not having the bean probe temp feedback with the RK, I usually get good roasts. Considering you have to spend almost 10x as much for a pro roaster that will do that much, it is a bargain when roasting for friends and relatives in quantity.

David

Coffeecityzen

#7: Post by Coffeecityzen »

Nice thanks for getting back. I do the shop vac method. I have to attempt getting a temp probe in there some how.