Invalsa Bolivian Microlot: Pablo Yana San Ignacio

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
texmachina

#1: Post by texmachina »

Evening All!

I roasted a few batches of this one back on the 29th. After a few days rest, I experimented today and am loving this pulled as espresso. The lighter of the roasts (ended at around 405F bean temp) has notes of vanilla, brown sugar, sugar cookie, and a rich creaminess. The acidity is crisp and clean and lends itself surprisingly well well to milk-based drinks. It is refreshing like an Italian cream soda, where the effervescence of the soda balances the heavy richness of the cream.

The darker roasts (ended at around 420F bean temp) exhibit the same, but with a nice deep chocolate base and less of the sparkling acidity. Between the two, I prefer the lighter. As a pour over, it is still quite good but has nowhere near the complexity as when pulled using the LMLM.

Interested to hear what others think!

https://invalsacoffee.com/collections/b ... ew-arrival

GC7

#2: Post by GC7 »

This coffee is a winner again.

Our temperature probes must be calibrated differently. I used my standard roast where FC starts about 392* (9 minutes or so post drop) and proceeds for 2 -2:10 development to 430*. For reference SC would start in another 8 degrees or so.

The cupping notes are pretty spot on but I get little noticeable apricot or stone fruit. It is dominated at this roast level by chocolate, citric acid-like acidity and some sort of sugary sweetness. It's worked well in a clever dripper, siphon and especially as a SO espresso. To me this coffee begs for a bit of half and half. Two thumbs up. I don't think I even need to play with roast levels or profiles.

The Bolivia Microlot: Porfirio Mamani is a very similar coffee but I did find it a bit more complex with stronger hints of fruit and the distinct vanilla flavors that compliment the chocolate. Again, to my tastes this begs for a bit of half and half and the cappuccino's shine. Two thumbs up!

texmachina (original poster)

#3: Post by texmachina (original poster) »

Yeah, a touch different; I get FC's around 383F, so we are definitely in the same ballpark.

I agree with the half and half comment! Something about the acidity in this one is sparkling, the best way I can put it is the Italian Soda comment I made. Most wouldn't think the bright citric sparkling Italian Soda would be good with cream in it, but it is, much like this coffee. It balances it out perfectly.

I made a batch of cold brew concentrate for a few customers last week with it (yes, this is a pretty pricey coffee for cold brewing), but it blew their socks off; praise all around.

GC7

#4: Post by GC7 »

If your FC is at 383* or so and ends at 406* I believe you are a bit lighter then I have been roasting. I will try that next time to see if more complexity develops for the Yana.

The Porfirio Mamani roasts just like the Yana. I'm super pleased with this one too but I'll go 5* or so lighter and see. That would be about the point where no more snaps of FC occur.

Thanks!

texmachina (original poster)

#5: Post by texmachina (original poster) »

Yeah, I definitely went lighter than you on both. I liked both, but for cold brewing, the darker (ended around 425F) added a bit more body which I liked better. I preferred the lighter as espresso and/or pour-over.

If you are aiming for the lighter of my roasts, it was just at the end of FC.

badperson

#6: Post by badperson »

just ordered 10lbs of this, will look forward to checking it out.

[creative nickname]

#7: Post by [creative nickname] »

Grabbed some as well, but won't be able to roast until we get done with traveling in August!
LMWDP #435

Boldjava

#8: Post by Boldjava »

The Bolivian Yana. Spectacular. Roasted and dropped at end of 1st..Just two days rest. Got pressed into action in our Yama 8 cup vacpot this morning.

Citrus medley, with a lime shining way on the back of the tongue. Chocolate sneaks in and out throughout the cup but isn't pronounced. Slight nut (walnut?) as the cup cools. Effervescent acidity.

Love it. Power-washed clean.
-----
LMWDP #339

Boldjava

#9: Post by Boldjava »

Just read all your notes. I am a half and half drinker quite often but haven't touched it with this light roast. Stay
away Elsie.
-----
LMWDP #339

GC7

#10: Post by GC7 »

Try the Porfirio Mamani microlot. It has the same citric highlights and more complexity.

I will try a lighter roast of each but midway between fc and sc brings out the chocolate and body to compliment the half and half. I was drinking the Yana black while driving down to Virginia today and it was heavenly.