Invalsa Bolivian Microlot: Pablo Yana San Ignacio - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava

#11: Post by Boldjava »

GC7 wrote:Try the Porfirio Mamani microlot. It has the same citric highlights and more complexity.
I am in on a shared lot of that as well.
-----
LMWDP #339

texmachina (original poster)

#12: Post by texmachina (original poster) »

GC7 wrote:Try the Porfirio Mamani microlot. It has the same citric highlights and more complexity.

I will try a lighter roast of each but midway between fc and sc brings out the chocolate and body to compliment the half and half. I was drinking the Yana black while driving down to Virginia today and it was heavenly.
Great minds... Mamani is actually the second of the 2 bags I ordered. I haven't had a chance to run it through the roaster yet, but now I am excited for it!

edschlukebir

#13: Post by edschlukebir »

Just received some of this today, and put it right in. It will be my first real coffee in my home built drum. I've been mostly using some cheap stuff for the first six months or so. Finally bit the bullet and trying something a bit better.

badperson

#14: Post by badperson »

I've really been liking this bean a lot, especially in full city roasts for espresso. My comments were pretty similar to some of the above, my main takeaways have been a really string cola flavor, mixed with some nutmeg, and a creamy body. I also feel like I'm getting some fruit that I have not really been able to put my finger on. In my espresso shots I have had some really nice complexity with this bean.

Here is my latest of the full city roasts.

I've had that same flavor profile on numerous shots from numerous batches with a curve similar to the above. Have had my best results with 21g in the portafilter, about 30 secs, and usually in the ballpark of 45g in the demitasse.

I was actually less successful in lighter roasts, although since I don't roast light that often I'm wondering if I'm just not picking up on the bean's real flavor, or if I need to roast it differently. Here is a recent chart...I did one that had a larger batch size, although similar drop temp and was a minute or so longer. That one just tasted baked to me. This one was better, but still kind of flat...

Both of these graphs have a weird RoR dip around 3:30, not totally sure what happened there, it has been atypical of other batches I have done with this bean. I think I was not giving the roaster enough time to get to a temp equilibrium, as in letting it cool down a bit, bringing temp back up and then charging.

I had a very high 1C temp for most of these, between 395 and 400F. Not sure if that indicates something I'm doing wrong. But have been really happy with this so far.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by mkane »

Ordered 5lbs. myself. This forum has me spending quite a bit on greens. I'll save the really good stuff for a while until I can come to grips with the new machine.

GC7

#16: Post by GC7 replying to mkane »

Mike- As far as I'm concerned these two Bolivian microlots we are discussing here are "the really good stuff". They may not be as expensive as some or require a PhD in flavor wheels and coffee tasting to figure them out but they are consistently unique and consistently enjoyable. I'm no cupping expert but I'm pretty sure I could pick these out on a table and I'm equally sure they would be near the top of a list I would want to buy. Enjoy them while they last and look for the new crop next year. I will!

mkane
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by mkane »

^^^^^^Thanks for that. I'm not up to speed yet with the new machine I bought so I'll save these until I can do em' justice. They arrived on today, in a burlap bag. Nice touch

sosha
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by sosha »

I'm debating between the 2 Bolivians discussed in this thread for my holiday gifting. Which of the 2 would you consider more of a crowd pleaser?
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

GC7

#19: Post by GC7 replying to sosha »

They are very similar. The Yana was great in the past when Dave aka Boldjava found it and distributed it on GCBC. It remains excellent every way I use it (Vac pot, Clever dripper, Espro press and espresso). This years harvest is the equal of the one several of us had a couple of years ago.

The Porfinio Mamani has everything the Yana has and in my roasts additional fruity notes. You can't go wrong with either. They are forgiving to roast and as long as you stay out of second crack (I have not gone that dark) I've found every roast to be smile promoting.

Boldjava

#20: Post by Boldjava »

GC7 wrote:...The Porfinio Mamani has everything the Yana has and in my roasts additional fruity notes. You can't go wrong with either. They are forgiving to roast and as long as you stay out of second crack (I have not gone that dark) I've found every roast to be smile promoting.
Been drinking Bolivians this year thanks to Tourman. Have the poor boy hooked. As GC7 said, stay away from 2nd. You can't go wrong w/any of Invalsa's offerings. He is picky about offering good stuff.
-----
LMWDP #339