Huky - Temperature Probe Upgrade - T/C & RTD

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
chuckcoffee

#1: Post by chuckcoffee »

I am changing out my T/C from the Huky stock 5 mm x 75 mm to a 2mm x 50 mm, with the reducing coupling and shorter length the surface area and depth into the bean mass is reduced from about 40mm to 24 mm. The 2mm is relatively easy to bend so maybe the shorter length has an advantage. Mill City sells these in 50, 75, and 100 mm lengths.

I saw Rytopia's comments on moving from 5 mm to 3 mm so looking forward to better roast control. Just wondering any experience with thermocouple length.
The Huky stock prob is notoriously thick, thankfully Huky uses very standard fittings for the prob, you could upgrade urs with the 2MM prob from mill city, its an 50 mm K-Type Thermocouple, 2mm diameter. Its a highly recommended upgrade, the Huky is an extremely nimble roaster, changing to a more responsive "dashboard" really helps to nail down the adjustments.

I changed mine from the 5MM to 3MM as i was late in realizing Mill City offer, but boy it did it make a difference, I realise the Huky needed multiple declining heat adjustments thru out the roast to have a stable roast/ROR which was "filtered" away by the thicker probe.
Sweet Maria's 3rd place golden bean profile - breaks all the rules we follow here

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

You may want to read this - long but informative.

https://artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.c ... noise.html
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Marcelnl

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

nice, so I now know that I need to tackle my phidget and Thermocouple lines with EMI shield cloth and not just focus on my tube amp, DAC and laptop :D

great write up of a nice investigation! Thanks a lot for sharing the result of a lot of work put into this! I was about to give a local Thermocouple company a visit to find out their take but this kindof makes that not needed.

so 3 mm K type insulated TC and a new phidget it is then :D or rather an RTD...hmm let's see if Artisan can cope with one phidget for ET and MET and the 1200 for the RTD...changing to 3 RTDs is sortof expensive all of a sudden (one RTD plus Phidget at around 75euro)
LMWDP #483

chuckcoffee (original poster)

#4: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz - Thanks - OK, that's a lot too digest

Artisan Article
I rather go without any smoothing and use a 1sec delta-span adding only a minimal delay of max 0.5sec at a sampling interval of 1sec.
To me a 3mm PT100 probe gives the best compromise between speed, noise and durability
So the RTD can really offer significantly less noise and as the delta span is short it basically has no delay vs using software on the T/C to reduce noise but add a time delay.

Well I just bought the TMP1101 as part of my upgrade to include controlling fan speed. The article is pretty convincing on going with an RTD - 3 mm PT100. It would mean if I did that for both the BT and ET probe that I would need to buy 2 Phidget TMP'1200 along with 2 RTD. All in about $300 Cdn.

For now I will get the new setup running and if too much noise start with 1 RTD

Marcelnl - let me know what you dig up on an appropriate RTD

This video from Wolff Coffee talks about the T/C vs RTD. I thin maybe the TMP1200 was not out at the time this was released?

Artisan Article

MaKoMo

#5: Post by MaKoMo »

Artisan 2.1 now directly supports a basic TC and RTD Phidgets set. They are described here: https://artisan-scope.org/devices/phidget-sets/

Marcelnl

#6: Post by Marcelnl »

I'm looking at this one.... https://www.tcdirect.nl/Default.aspx?le ... 6#230/16/1

but more and more I'm leaning towards the complete kit offered by Artisan in their shop, knowing it'll work with Artisan and potentially foregoing the investment in time to make the 3 lead RTD work AND supporting the excellent work done made me change my mind.
LMWDP #483

#7: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Anyone have suggestions about where to get a RTD PT100 temperature sensor at or around 3 mm in Canada?

MaKoMo

#8: Post by MaKoMo replying to chuckcoffee »

Phidgets (a Canadian company!) sells 4-wires, ø3.2mm PT1000 RTDs that are supported by the TMP1200. The same once that I am selling via the Tonino and artisan.plus shops as part of compiled ready-to-use package RTD sets.

#9: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Marko

Well that would make this easier for shipping as I can order both the RTD and the TMP1200 RTD phidget.

Thank You!

https://www.phidgets.com/?tier=3&catid= ... rodid=1004

Marcelnl

#10: Post by Marcelnl »

edit: pointless post , already answered
LMWDP #483