Huky - Temperature Probe Upgrade - T/C & RTD - Page 7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
EarlyStarts

#61: Post by EarlyStarts »

Thanks to this thread, I am attempting to upgrade my Huky to 3X RTDs. BT and ET are the 2mm swaged PT100 RTDs from TC Direct. MET is the 3mm PT1000 RTD from Phidgets. VINT hub and TMP1200 X3. I got them all installed but in Artisan there is only one setting for RTD type? When I set it to PT100 type, my BT and ET show up and when I set it to PT1000 type, my MET shows up. Am I missing something?

Not a huge deal as I can roast without MET for now.

MaKoMo

#62: Post by MaKoMo »

Not yet possible in v2.4. All TMP1200 share the same configuration for now. I will the a second set of TMP1200 configurations to the next release.

grebdnul

#63: Post by grebdnul »

Hello!
I'm going to replace my BT probe with this 1.5mm probe from TC Direct -

Mineral insulated thermocouple, Type K - 310 Stainless Steel Sheath (1100ºC) (my phidget only has 2 connection points)
405-008 1.5mm dia x 750mm long

That should fit fine, lengthwise i think, and 1.5mm is a good and responsive thickness according to Scott Rao.
But what about the compression fitting width? Does anyone what size the predrilled hole in the hukyfront is? 1/8" or 1/4"? And BSPT or NPT?
These are the alternatives they offer:

875-450 1.5mm x 1/8" BSPT Stainless Steel
875-452 1.5mm x 1/8" NPT Stainless Steel
875-454 1.5mm x 1/4" BSPT Stainless Steel
875-456 1.5mm x 1/4" NPT Stainless Steel

Regards, Philip from Sweden.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#64: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

1.5 is too thin. His new book says 3. I would go with that.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Marcelnl

#65: Post by Marcelnl »

I ordered mine (3mm grounded TC) as custom made order from TC direct with a locknut without giving any dimension and it fits. If you don't fully torque the locknut you can adjust the probe, mine (100mm) needs to stick outside a bit to not hit the reinfocement in middle of the drum so hand turn to check but 75mm shoulr work out fine.

give them a ring to discuss your options.

mine:
12-K-100-125-3,0-2G-
3P2L(50MM SPRING)-

1MTR A30KX-ACM07S

Mineral Insulated Thermocouple - Type K -
Length 100mm - Sheath material: Stainless
steel 310 (1.4841) Tmax 1100°C - Dia=
Ø3,0 - Grounded Junction - Potseal (Tmax:
105°C) Ø6,3x31mm with 50MM spring
(20MM onto potseal, 30MM to cable)- 1
Meter Type K PVC Cable 2x0,22mm2
stranded conductors - M8x1.25
compression fitting to suit Ø3.0 sensor
LMWDP #483

grebdnul

#66: Post by grebdnul »

Ok,
I made a custom order similar to yours, 3mm and asked for a M8 1.25 fitting. Thanks for the help!

matteden22

#67: Post by matteden22 »

Just thought I'd jump in here and see if any of the fellas that upgraded their T/C's to RTD's after "On Noise" would be interested in selling the old components to a particularly opportunistic up-and-coming budget roaster. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite convinced of the RTD advantages, but ~$150 USD is quite a bit out of my price range, but I still would like to kick my old Center 301 serial-USB system to the curb! :D

Marcelnl

#68: Post by Marcelnl replying to matteden22 »

You can have mine for free, the problem is that shipping with tracking and arrival date anytime soon is ridiculously expensive right now AND the 5 mm probes are really sluggish. If you can find thinner ones and/or someone closer you'd be better off.

If not I'm happy to stick them in an envelope for free, post them and hope for the best and pray for patience. Just shoot me your address details.
LMWDP #483

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#69: Post by Brewzologist »

Are you also using Artisan? If so, with a limited budget, I'd replace the Center meter with a Phidget setup using your existing TC's. Then later you could replace the TC's with something thinner like those sold by Mill City. Check out the VINT hub and TMP1101 on the Phidget website. HTH.

Marcelnl

#70: Post by Marcelnl »

I'll throw the phidget for the stock TC's in the envelope when it comes to that, I am now using it for MET but am not really looking at it for anything...so you can ditch the center thing and use Artisan.
LMWDP #483