Huky - Temperature Probe Upgrade - T/C & RTD - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by Brewzologist »

Thanks for the quick and detailed response. I am waffling between upgrading to the 2mm K-Type versus the RTD for both the BT and ET on my Huky. Marko has certainly shown the RTD to be a better choice, but for me it also comes down to finding probes that don't interfere with the trier and door. A couple more questions:

1) Why did you choose the 50x2mm thermocouple from Mill City instead of the 75mmx2 probe? Wouldn't the 75mm one have placed the probe in the same place in the bean mass as the stock 5mm probe?

2) For the RTD probe, have you considered bending it where it exits the roaster? I'd love to find a PT100/1000 3mm RTD with a 75mm shaft (bent or straight) but can't seem to locate one.

Steve

chuckcoffee (original poster)

#22: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Steve

You are correct the 2mm x 75mm length probe would be better choice.

The RTD probe sticking out is not really an issue. Door opens more than 90. The interference with removing the trier is not a problem. Good idea to bend the probe though. I was trying to control shipping costs so ordering the Phidget and probe at the same time made sense.

Having both ET & BT using RTD was cost wise a bit high for me (~$100 Cdn/each) as you need to get a RTD and Phidget for both so I choose to do 1.

What Phidget do you have?

Advertisement
Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by Brewzologist »

I have the 1048 with stock 5mm MET/ET/BT probes. I thought I'd keep the 1048 for MET and get a VINT hub, (2) TMP1200's plus RTD's to replace BT/ET probes. Yep, that's pricey for sure but would like to do it all at the same time given my wiring and the Arduino I also use. I want to update the stock ET probe too since I also use deltaET during a roast to guide decisions.

Appreciate any other thoughts/recommendations on RTDs vs thermocouples in the Huky given your experience so far.

Steve

P.S. Phidget replied to my bending question on their RTD's and said it should be possible, but they hadn't done it, and of course you could damage the internal leads. So it would be a pricey experiment if you failed to bend it carefully. :shock: :cry:

#24: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Steve

Well when you change a ton of things all at the same time.....

I believe that if you use the VINT hub and the 1048 you will end up with 2 USB connections. May not be a problem but I would avoid that. Either pickup the TMP1101_0 - 4x Thermocouple Phidget along with 2 of 75mmx2mm probes.
Or

get 2xRTD setup's and the TMP1101. That way everything goes through the VINT Hub. Just my 2c. My intention was to replace the ET with a RTD but that is going to wait. LOL, I also bought the Phidget for Humidity and Temp along with the RGB LED Phidget(oh and the whole PWM setup)

So big black hole......This is part of what makes this interesting.. along with continuous coffee taste improvement (consistency not so much)

In the curve below the BT is the RTD and the ET is a stock Huky 5mm. My MET is the 2mm from Mill City. If I had more time I would exchange the BT and MET to see the difference.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by Brewzologist »

Thanks for sharing that roast profile. I currently use sampling=1s, deltaspan=10s and smoothing=3s on my RoR curves, and when I change to your settings the increased noise with my TC's is substantial. So the RTD is definitely far less noisy, permitting less aggressive settings in Artisan and thus improved probe responsiveness.

That said, how has this influenced your roasting since you changed to the RTD? For example, have you noticed TP occurring earlier? Or temps at various roast stages being different? I ask because near the end of Marko's "On Idle Noise" post, the before/after profiles appeared to show TP with RTD was occurring earlier than with TC's, and the BT curves/temps were different too. (I know those examples were different roasts with probes in different locations so I shouldn't take these as concrete findings).

In short, I'm wondering if the RTD has let you discover new control/consistency over your roasts, which of course should translate into better tasting coffee too.

P.S. I know about the 'black hole' problem... you should see my beer brewing setup! :)

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by Brewzologist »

Upgraded my Huky's BT and ET probes to RTD's per Marko's "On Idle" article. Purchased the compression fittings below from www.thesensorconnection.com.
The 1/4" NPT fitting screws right into the ET probe location welded to the faceplate, and the 1/8" NPT fitting fits the BT probe location with some light drilling of the faceplate to enlarge the hole. Added a couple brass caps I got from Home Depot on the inside that I drilled a hole through because when I disassembled the Huky there were old bean fragments stuck in the faceplate wells where the old probes were. Hope the caps will reduce that build up. Once I set the location of the probes in the compression fittings, I then cut some small pieces of copper tubing I placed over the probe between the fitting and the end of the probe to prevent any movement. Note that I tightened the probe lightly within the compression fitting so I could remove the probes as needed. (Apparently if you tighten the fitting to the probe too much it can permanently set the probe within the fitting.)

1/8" NPT Thread Compression Fitting for 1/8" (.125) Thermocouple Probe: 1/8 NPT fittings
1/4" NPT Thread Compression Fitting for 1/8" (.125) Thermocouple Probe: 1/4 NPT fittings

EDIT: Note: the 1/8NPT fitting installed fine. And I got the 1/4 NPT fitting to fit into the ET probe location by jamming it in. Turns out that the pipe thread standard is different in the USA and elsewhere so it didn't fit cleanly, so you may want to source a different one for the ET that fits precisely.
Use the one I suggested at your own risk.

The only downside is the probes stick out more and interfere with the trier. I am thinking of making a longer trier handle; does anyone know how the handle is attached on the Huky's trier? More to follow as I test this setup.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#27: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Steve did you go with 3mm or 2mm (the thread title). Didn't Marko end up with 3mm? Just want people to know since you were very thorough.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Advertisement
Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by Brewzologist replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

For completeness, I purchased the following from Phidgets:
(2) TMP4109_0 3.2mm x 11cm PT1000 4-wire RTD probes
(1) HUB0000_0 VINT hub
(1) TMP1101_0 4x thermocouple
(2) TMP1200_0 RTD

I continue to use the stock 5mm probe for MET, and also re-purposed one of the stock 5mm probes as an exhaust probe in my chaff collector; both feeding into the TMP1101_0. I also intend to use the ambient temp sensor on the TMP1101_0. More to follow as I test this in Artisan.

#29: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Steve

I also picked a 2nd RTD package for my ET. So now have both BT and RT on RTD's. The ET sticks out a bit more than the BT. Roasted yesterday but still need to review results.

Both are 3.2 mm purchased from Phidget.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

The title for 2mm refers to the Mill City T/C I originally purchased when I started this now in place for the MET (top probe outside roast chamber)

#30: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Also re-purposed one of the Huky 5 mm T/C to measure temperature as air enters the cyclone. Temps running up to about 260 deg F. Plastic solid so all good.