Huky - Temperature Probe Upgrade - T/C & RTD - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
chuckcoffee (original poster)

#11: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Ok so I have part of my kit
- VINT Hub
- TMP1101 4x Thermocouple
- Humidity Phidget
- Phidget Voltage Control ( this will be used to control the fan once I have components assembled)
- RTD Phidget and RTD on order

I hooked them up. In the Phidget Control panel I can see the temp from the T/C but I am not seeing this in Artisan. If I click on thehelp in Phidget Controlit shows Phidget22 - Version 1.0.0. In Artisan I do see the ambient humidity or Temp showing up so the Hub must be working with artisan but nothing for the T/C that would be my Bean Temp? The software was working when I was using the Phidget1048

So questions
- how to setup config to see this Thermocouple
- will i be able to setup BT -to use the RTD and ET - to use the thermocouple. I only have one RTD phidget and RTD on order
- the temp and humidity - the readout seems to alternate between humidity and temp, can you display both

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#12: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Marko may need to answer in more detail.

I assume you are running 2.1.2?
Do you see the Ambient data under Roast Properties? I don't know if you can show both on the graph.
Have you run the automated Configurations? I don't know if you can use both a TC and RTD at the same time, but guessing you can under Extra Devices.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

#13: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Ok, its working now. I rebooted the computer. Here is the setup

Question still on running both a T/C and RTD. I'm thinking that the RTD would be chosen in ET menu and then my ET and METusing the T/C would be setup as extra devices

The ambient humidity and temp display in configuration menu although you do need to click on update to keep current. The humidity appears to show in the main menu when the software is on but not started. it appears to jump from temp to humidity each time you restart roast?

#14: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Ok, so I received the RTD temp sensor. I setup the RTD for B/T using the Config/Machine/Phidget/RTD. Under the Extra I setup the T/C'. I was able to get the three temperature readouts. BT (RTD),ET (T/C) ,MET (T/C)

I ran Artisan to see background noise. As expected based on the Artisan Noise article the variation on the T/C was a lot more than the RTD. At some point I will replace the T/C for the ET with a RTD. Also had the HUM/TEMP Phidget working and populating into the Summary Statistics

The only thing I am noticing is if I stop the room temp roast and reset only the BT is reading out. I can get all 3 reading. I'm not sure if somehow with my setup that the reset button is preventing the 2 T/C's from reading out.

Any thoughts on this?

https://artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.c ... noise.html

MaKoMo

#15: Post by MaKoMo »

chuckcoffee wrote:The only thing I am noticing is if I stop the room temp roast and reset only the BT is reading out. I can get all 3 reading. I'm not sure if somehow with my setup that the reset button is preventing the 2 T/C's from reading out.

Any thoughts on this?
I don't understand your issue fully. You do a "room temp roast" recording with the setup you describe above (one TMP1200 for BT and one TMP1101 for ET and MET). What do you exactly mean by "if I stop the room temp roast reset only the BT is reading out"? If you stop a recording, press RESET, start via ON or START again only the BT reading from the TMP1200 is shown!? Do the other two ET/MET keep displaying -1. You do not get the attach message from the TMP1101 (check the message log under menu Help)? I just duplicated your setup completely and things work as expected. Which version of Artisan are you using?

#16: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Marko
Artisan is 2.1.2
Windows 10

Workflow for condition missing 2 readouts

1.Open Artisan
2.Click On - readouts show for BT< ET and MET
3. Click Off - readouts show - -
4. Click On - readout BT on, but readout for ET and MET -1

If I continue to click on the Off/On buttons to bring in and out of monitoring the readouts for ET and MET will appear and disappear but not consistently. Not an ideal problem to troubleshoot. Also tried changing to a different USB port on my computer but that did not help.

I also did this with a remote mouse
version

On Open

All 3 readouts good

ET and MET - - not reading

MaKoMo

#17: Post by MaKoMo »

chuckcoffee wrote:Marko
Artisan is 2.1.2
Windows 10

Workflow for condition missing 2 readouts

1.Open Artisan
2.Click On - readouts show for BT< ET and MET
3. Click Off - readouts show - -
4. Click On - readout BT on, but readout for ET and MET -1
This is exactly what I tested (but on macOS instead of Windows). Works for me flawless. Did you wait a moment after OFF to allow the Phidgets to detach and after ON to give the Phidgets enough time to attach?

Do you have the latest Phidgets driver installed?
Do all your Phidget modules run the latest firmware version? Check all, the TMP1200, the HUB0000, and the TMP1101 by opening the Phidgets Control Panel. The modules with outdated firmware should be marked red (consult the Phidgets user manuals for further information).

#18: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Marko

Ok, that seems to have stabilized the readouts. I did update a couple of the Phidget firmware's that were red. Once that was done. The RTD no longer was reading out within the Phidget Control Panel. LOL! I then reinstalled the Phidget software, Opened up the Phidget control panel, ran the firmware updates.

That worked. The Phidget Control Panel in both cases was Phidget22 but the now a more recent version. Artisan was consistently show the RTD temp and the 2 X T/C temps.

Time to get a roast happening.

Marko, thanks a ton for your help.

Note: Once I see how the ROR curves compare between the RTD and T/C I may order a 2nd RTD, and digital output to control some LED's :D

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by Brewzologist »

Chuck; Can you provide a picture or description of the hardware to mount the RTD probe in the Huky? Given the 110mm length of the Phidget RTD probe vs the stock 75mm probe, I'm assuming the probe protrudes an additional 35mm or so now?

Thanks;
Steve

#20: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Steve
I'm assuming the probe protrudes an additional 35mm or so now?
You are correct. I have attached some photos. When I had it apart I figured out how far it could stick in without the blades touching the probe. Offset on the outside shown is 1" I am going to cut some a small pc copper pipe to lock that in

When I bought RTD from Phidget I bought mounting hardware. As I recall i had to open up the hole in the plate to get that setup to go through and added a SS washer(s) on the inside to take up some slack. I Used a step drill to open up the hole.

https://www.phidgets.com/?tier=3&catid= ... prodid=633

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002GQ ... UTF8&psc=1