Huky Gas Automation

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
chuckcoffee

#1: Post by chuckcoffee »

I have seen a couple postings of gas control automation for the Huky. I'm interested in figuring this one out but programming is not my strong point.

I did find these references on the old Huky forum along with some posted python script. I have an arduino knock off(Mega) that came with a stepper motor.

I am unsure of the steps to have the arduino and artisan communicate. I understand this involves using a communicator between arduino and python as well but then I hit the brick wall.

https://www.hukyforum.com/index.php/topic,1080.0.html

and post python scripts

https://github.com/phil-nelson/hukyroaster

https://www.hukyforum.com/index.php/top ... l#msg13376

chuckcoffee (original poster)

#2: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Also running on Windows 10. My son who programs was looking at it. The github script was written in ver 2 python and for Linux environment so still more work to do.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

RobAnybody

#3: Post by RobAnybody »

There is a reasonable chance you can get it to work using cygwin, which provides you the toolsets used in linux (such as python) and a command shell to run them in.
Saves you from having to reverse engineer the github script into something windows can use.
Cheers!
Rob
LMWDP #647

#4: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Rob, does cygwin have named pipes?

RobAnybody

#5: Post by RobAnybody »

Good question, I generally use it to run programs that require python so I had to look up the answer.
According to this page https://superuser.com/questions/1526348 ... and-cygwin
It is possible to use named pipes but you need some tweaking to make it work.

Cheers
Rob
LMWDP #647

#6: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Rob, after reviewing your response my son decided to use Sockets. .. and success we got this working

So.. I have some pulleys and belt on order that will run between the stepper motor and the Huky gas valve. Once the pulleys and belt are in we will work on the mechanical side and program implementation. I will post a summary at that time.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Brewzologist »

I modified that code a couple years ago to work with Windows named pipes using the pywin32 library. Glad to hear you got it working with sockets too. I currently use the Arduino just for DC fan control, but I also bought servos and hardware for gas automation and never got around to it. I'll be watching this thread so see how your implementation goes, which may inspire me to finish it on my roaster! :)

RobAnybody

#8: Post by RobAnybody »

Good to hear you got it working!
I'm curious to see the final result
Cheers!
Rob
LMWDP #647

Rickpatbrown

#9: Post by Rickpatbrown »

I feel like it could be hard to calibrate the regulator based on motor positions. I dont know if there is slop in the knob, or it's just the gauge dial that is a bit twitchy. I always tap the side if the gauge as I make adjustments to get an accurate reading.

I've always wanted to use a phidget pressure sensor to measure gas pressure. Having stepper points based on the pressure might be more accurate. I'm not sure if a PID theme is necessary. Might be overly complicating something that is simple.

I've also wondered about safety, using the pressure sensor to measure a flammable gas.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Brewzologist »

Rick; Yep a better overall solution might be to use a proportional gas valve. Here's one approach:

Exploring North Gas Roaster Automation: Part 1