Huky 500T: which extras, and damper questions

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.

#1: Post by 90066 »

Read a bunch about Huky 500T. Ready to order, but just double-checking:
- order your typical setup (pick drum, motor, etc)
- order extra tray/fan/funnel depending on how much hustle you want

then, should I order:
- 1 extra TC (in case one breaks)
- 1 extra motor just in case

I plan on getting fan controller - should I attempt to ask for a damperless pipe? or are the dampers useful/used for something?

Jasper_8137

#2: Post by Jasper_8137 »

90066 wrote:should I attempt to ask for a damperless pipe? or are the dampers useful/used for something?
The damper closest to the hopper is handy so you can decrease air flow when charging. Otherwise beans get sucked into the exhaust (not a lot though).

In addition to your list, I got an extra set of ceramic bearings just in case. It's a great roaster - you'll love it.

trumz

#3: Post by trumz »

I have a dimmer on my fan but still used the damper to close off airflow completely while charging. Even thought I had the fan on low aswell, I still had beans get sucked into the exhaust pipe if I remember correctly. Haven't used my Huky in a couple years.

Not sure I would bother getting anextra motor right away. Althought I haven't roasted for a long time, I did intensivly for a few months. Roasted over 180kg in 4 months and my motor is fine. Although a spare motor is only 20 bucks.... I think you need to spec a digital ET TC if you want one as stock ET is analog.

wayneg1

#4: Post by wayneg1 »

I had my Huky for about 4 years and it was a great little machine. I ordered an extra motor and never needed it. I ordered parts from Mr. Li a few times and he was very quick to respond so I don't find much need to stockpile anything other than the ceramic bearings.

I may have been the first one to obtain the damperless T-Pipe with a lot of back and forth with Mr. Li to figure it out. I think with the Huky it's the best alternative to the beans stuck issue. I took a piece of tin foil (a la Ed) and used it to block the exhaust side at charging. The dampers deflect the beans at charging and are the biggest problem. Also, the dampers are next to useless for controlling airflow. Use a fan controller.

It doesn't matter which drum you get, they both perform well. With the perforated you have a controllable grate that opens and closes for direct/indirect heat.

Best of luck, you'll love the machine. Cheers. :)

batwingcrunchies

#5: Post by batwingcrunchies »

just got the huky myself and you definitely want the extra cooling tray/fan/funnel, Honestly, the base machine should really include a standalone cooling system. Trying to dismantle a hot pipe during roast is not only annoying when you're trying to get ready to drop but it's also dangerous. My setup didn't come with the extra cooling system and its a pain. The dampers are usable i guess but i'm kind of surprised at this point that the system isnt coming with some sort of variable electric fan control. Variacs cost around 50 or so, not a huge expense to add one.

mack1611

#6: Post by mack1611 »

You don't need extras with the Cormorant other than patience, I think the wait is about 6 months.