Huky 500T vs BC-1

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
fzman

Postby fzman » Nov 03, 2017, 3:40 pm

I ask this with all sincerity, but why would anyone by the Huky w/ extras for $2400-ish when you can get a BC-1 for $2900-ish? Seems like the BC-1 is way less kludgy.. Antying else comparable? Bullet, e.g.?

trumz

Postby trumz » Nov 03, 2017, 4:21 pm

The Huky 500T is less then half the price of the BC1. Not 2400$.

SJM

Postby SJM » Nov 03, 2017, 4:24 pm

And the Bullet is an electric roaster....
No comparison to be made there.

hankua

Postby hankua » Nov 03, 2017, 4:25 pm

If you can swing a BC-1 then it's a no brainer, but it was originally a 300g machine (BC-300); thus the smaller drum.
To save money on a Huky, just order the base unit and stove; and change out the ET for a thermocouple.

SJM

Postby SJM » Nov 03, 2017, 4:32 pm

Oh yeah, one more thing.
You call it the 'kludge factor', and I get that, but it's that same modularity that makes the HUKY workable for someone who can take its parts apart and move it around easily. The next rung up on the gas roasters are all too big and too heavy to be comfortable for some (me....). Some people even use their HUKYs on their kitchen ranges.

You say kludge?
I say modular..... 8)

fzman

Postby fzman » Nov 03, 2017, 7:05 pm

I was trying to post while at work, and did not include lots of my info. I've been using a Gene Cafe for years, and would like something that has a biit more capacity, per batch. I have already been doing 320 gram charges in it. I would get a Behmor, but it is not clear to me that it really can do 1 lb, and may not be enough of an upgrade, if at all. Likewise, the Hottops do not do big enough batches for me.

The Huky and its ilk seem to need a camp stove, so to speak, to work, and propane tanks, venting, and buying extra bits for convenience/ergonomics.....

The BC-1 looks more like a manufactured product, and less "modular". I have a place to put it, where it would not have to be moved around, but I also would like to have something somewhat simple, like just shoving a dryer vent hose out the window, like I do with the Gene....

I am thinking that the Bullet R! is looking more appealing to me, as no gas is required. Perhaps I expect too much, and am not being realistic...

cerone

Postby cerone » Nov 03, 2017, 7:21 pm

I paid $1610 for my huky 500T including shipping and all the extra factory parts (2 fans, 2 trays, 2 funnels, etc). Then maybe $150 more for phidget/variac.

Not sure how you got to $2400. I pretty much bought it all and was well under $2k.

SJM

Postby SJM » Nov 03, 2017, 7:22 pm

I am thinking that the Bullet R! is looking more appealing to me, as no gas is required

Well good.
You got that figured out.
If you want an electric roaster, neither the HUKY or the BC-1 is gonna do it for you. :(

edtbjon

Postby edtbjon » Nov 04, 2017, 11:23 am

Either one of the roasters will take you to a complete different level of control (and complicity) in the coffee roasting. I used a GeneCafe before buying my Huky and going from pressing a button to learning the full manual way did take some time but the rewards were great. The Huky and (probably) the BC1 are more or less indestructable, capable of roasting back to back roasts for as long as you can keep awake. :)
When I bought my Huky there really were no alternatives below say $4K. The BC and the TJ066 are more recent roasters.

I have looked at the Bullet on various websites and reports, but havn't really found any good comparisons between the Bullet and a conventional gas roaster. I would love to see that comparison, as the technological development and inventions used in the Bullet are very interesting. If memory serves me, there are limitations on how much you can use the Bullet on a daily basis.

fzman

Postby fzman » Nov 04, 2017, 1:32 pm

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far-it is appreciated, I am an over-thinker, and probably an under-do-er, which can be an evil and frustrating combo. That said....

I have only ever had fluid bed roasters- the Gene Cafe (on my second one already, as the original one from 2006 gave up the ghost). The first one was knob-twiddled more than the second one. I tend to stick to the same beans, having learned that try quick, rebuy quicker, so you dont miss out on beans you really like. I write a time and a temp on the plastic bags, and set the Gene for those settings, and let it go. I load 300-320g charges, and do not preheat. I set the timer on my phone for 2-3 minutes ahead of the scheduled completion time, then leave Gene to do his business until the phone reminds me to supervise the final approach and landing. (I roast in my house's basement, and simply run a metal flexi dryer vent-hose out an open window-- easy peasey! My kitchen is small, and the 'vent hood' is outside ventred, but is built into a microwave, so not a real powerhouse. I am not likely to try to set up a gass roaster on my kitchen stove-top.

I sometimes do 2 or 3 roasts in a row, mostly on weekends, when I have the time, but sometimes do a single roast in the morning or at night after work. I roast for myself, and on ocassion, for a friend, or for the shared drip machine at work (i have my own super-auto machine on my desk there). So, I am looking for a roaster that will allow me the same or better roast quality, with at least double the batch capacity. I enjoy roasting, but more for the result than for the ritual. I'm 61, so once I retire that might change, and would like the roaster I buy now to still be properly functional then as well.

So, given the above (heretical as it may seem), should I just get Behmor and be done with it? Leaning toward that or a Bullet R1, as it would be Gene-like in terms of cord, hose, and go "installation", or would I be missing out on not getting a Huky or BC-1? The Huky I lloked at is from croptocup, who have put together a bundle which comes in at close to the price of the BC-1, and similar to the Bullet.

Sponsored by counterculturecoffee.com
www.counterculturecoffee.com: coffee driven people, people driven coffee