Huky 500T problem with Center 301 thermometer and Artisan

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
catchreleasecoffee

#1: Post by catchreleasecoffee »

Good morning, gang!

First, let me paint a picture of my setup....

I have a brand new Huky 500t with a Center 301 thermometer. Running from the thermometer to the (PC) computer is an IOCREST RS-232 USB-to-Serial Adapter. I've installed the drivers. The CENTER 301 reads temps perfectly. Anytime I run Artisan (1.2) and hit START the RXD/TXD lights on the RS-232 USB-to-Serial Adapter are blinking - which I assume there is communication between that and Artisan.

Now, here's my dilemma...

The temps that are on the CENTER are not showing up on Artisan. I'm getting -1.0 on both ET and BT. Also, there is a notation on the Roaster Scope...
When the CENTER301 is OFF the notation reads "0 BYTES RECEIVED BUT 8 NEEDED"
When the CENTER301 is ON the notation reads "1 BYTES RECEIVED BUT 8 NEEDED"

Here are images of what I'm looking at...

If there is anyone out there that can help with this, that would be amazing.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

SJM

#2: Post by SJM »

It looks like your 'issue' is with that USB-serial connector. Did you get the one from Mr. Li?
Not all USB-serial connectors work.
I don't know anything about what makes one work and another one not work, but that looks to be where your system is breaking down.

Artisan is telling you that it is not getting any data. It's telling you in two ways: the -1 at ET and BT is one way; the error message saying 0/1 bytes received is the other.

LDT

#3: Post by LDT »

I do not have experience with the Center 301, but if you want trouble-free roasting with your Huky, you may want to consider the Phidget 1048 as the interface between the Huky probes and your computer. It is an extra cost item, but many on this forum use the Phidget and it's supported within Artisan.

Spald

#4: Post by Spald »

I have used both the center (304) and Phidget on my Huky. Both work...I don't recall what I had to do to get my center working, but it was one of those "slap your forehead" kind of solutions once I figured it out. I think it was something simple like assigning the correct drivers on my computer. Huky forum has a number of conversations on the topic too if you haven't already searched over there. Don't give up on the center, it does a fine job once you figure out the computer configurations.

SJM

#5: Post by SJM »

So, have you made any progress figuring this out?
It will be good to know what the solution turns out to be.

renatoa

#6: Post by renatoa »

Maybe you have a button to press to start sending data over serial line, as is in my Mastech similar device... :?
Same "0 BYTES RECEIVED BUT 18 NEEDED" message when I forget to press the data start button.