Huky 500 propane connection broke

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
thusband

#1: Post by thusband »

I wanted to weigh my propane tank to determine how much propane was left. I removed the hose and tried to remove the regulator to get an accurate weight. The Huky supplied regulator was hard to remove so I applied the wrench to that wheel that connects to the tank. It broke right off without loosening the connection at all (see photo). I'm not sure what my next step should be. It's not leaking (soapy water test) and I always close the tank valve so I can continue to roast but at some point I'll run out of propane.

dynamiteid

#2: Post by dynamiteid »

From the picture, it looks like the regulator screws into the internal threads on the propane tank. If so, I believe those are reverse threaded. You loosen the connection by turning clockwise. (Reverse of normal)

If you used a lot of force turning it counter-clockwise trying to loosen it, that might be why it broke.

Just an idea of what might be the issue. If that is the issue, you might need to use a pair of vice grips to loosen it by turning in the clockwise direction.

Dave

hankua
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by hankua »

If the grip ring broke off it's probably time to replace the regulator. If your roasting above 3kPa then a high pressure Marshall would be a good choice.

RobertL

#4: Post by RobertL »

How old is your Huky? If it's not that old you could reach out to Mr.Li about it. He might replace it or offer you a discount on a replacement. He would probably like to know about it failing for quality control purposes.

chris_n

#5: Post by chris_n »

that regulator is reverse threaded. it is likely you snapped it off because going the wrong way with a wrench! too much muscle! you should be able to extract that broken off part with an extractor at least.

Tonefish

#6: Post by Tonefish replying to chris_n »

My first thoughts too! I did this once with a bike pedal also. Darned reverse threads!

Those propane fittings have an o-ring to make the seal so you really shouldn't be going full-wrench tight either.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

chris_n

#7: Post by chris_n replying to Tonefish »

yes absolutely. the rubber bushing seals things real good at just finger tight, hence no wrench needs to go near that hand turn ring :)

thusband (original poster)

#8: Post by thusband (original poster) »

hankua wrote:If the grip ring broke off it's probably time to replace the regulator. If your roasting above 3kPa then a high pressure Marshall would be a good choice.
Yeah, I'll certainly have to replace the regulator. Thanks.

#9: Post by thusband (original poster) »

RobertL wrote:How old is your Huky? If it's not that old you could reach out to Mr.Li about it. He might replace it or offer you a discount on a replacement. He would probably like to know about it failing for quality control purposes.
It's about 2 1/2 years old and since I broke the fitting I doubt Mr. Li would cover it.

#10: Post by thusband (original poster) »

chris_n wrote:that regulator is reverse threaded. it is likely you snapped it off because going the wrong way with a wrench! too much muscle! you should be able to extract that broken off part with an extractor at least.
Yup, lesson learned.