Huky 500 max batch size

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
royi_klein

#1: Post by royi_klein »

Hi all,

Considering buying a huky 500T, what is your experience of max batch size?
Thanks!

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Brewzologist »

Jrodanapolis

#3: Post by Jrodanapolis »

I've found, and I think it's generally accepted, that the ideal batch size is 300-400g. I've been buying 5 lb bags of greens, and split into 6 batches that comes out to 378g each, which works very well.

I have done 1 lb (454g) batches before, but I don't think the Huky is best at that size. It's a great little machine, but I do sometimes wish I could do ~540g batches like a Mill City 500 so that I could end up with a full pound after weight loss.

A little less is no problem either. If I have a smaller amount of beans (2 lbs), I still usually break it into one more batch than lb that I have to keep it in the 300-350g range.

royi_klein (original poster)

#4: Post by royi_klein (original poster) »

Thanks all

That's quite confusing since I see people roasting 350-400 grams as Ideal batch size and people claiming to roast 550-600 grams a batch (which is Ideal for me).

Thoughts?

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Brewzologist »

The Huky has a max capacity of 500g, so I don't see how anyone could roast 550-600 grams in that machine.

I am only familiar with drum roasting machines, and many of them are best operated at a max of ~80% capacity so you have more ability in the application of heat and air to optimally control the beans during the roast to get the results you want. If you run at 100% capacity, you have little room to correct a roast while it is in progress because the bean mass may be too large for the available gas/air controls and thermal mass of the machine to fix it.

If your ideal batch size is 550-600 grams you should look for a machine with 800g to 1kg capacity, but there are trade-offs. Read this recent thread to learn more: Torn on which roaster? (Aillio Bullet, Crop to Cup Arc 800g, Mill City/North 500g)

Jrodanapolis

#6: Post by Jrodanapolis »

Steve is right. 500g is possible, but your results aren't going to be as repeatable or as high quality as if you did 350-400g batches. I think you could push it to 1 lb and be fine, but to push 600g would just be too much. With the low mass of the Huky you'd have to charge really high and could risk scorching/tipping. I charge my 375g batches at 225C(ish), and scale that according to batch size. At 600g I don't think I'd get roast times where I want them without cranking the heat higher than I would want to, and it might be harder to control.

What is your main purpose of roasting? To sell or for personal use? If you have a place to leave the roaster set up and are using it for personal consumption mostly, the Huky size is just about perfect. Heating up takes about 20 minutes, even 3 batches at 15 minutes each and a short vacuum/clean up at the end puts you at just over an hour total. If you were to get a 1 kg roaster, you could do that in 40 minutes, but you'd have to spend quite a bit more than you could get a Huky for. That is why I bought mine.

If money were no issue I would definitely read through the link that Steve posted and shop for something a little bit larger. The Arc, Mill City 1k and Buckeye BC2 (I think there's even one for sale on the Buy/Sell page here on HB...) look pretty awesome to me.

royi_klein (original poster)

#7: Post by royi_klein (original poster) »

Thanks all for your replies, it does help.

I intend to use it for personal purposes, currently using a behmor and the batch size is a bit small for me (330 grams) and I want to get a better control, the behmor is more of a trial and error roaster.
I have a dedicated location so it does not need to travel.

I looked at the larger options (1KG) but that's out of the budget for me, I friend of mine just got a Bullet but he has a huge coffee consumption (~6-7 kg of roasted coffee a month, I usually drink ~1/5-2 kg a month, during this COVID-19 issue off course we are drinking 2.5 kg of roasted coffee a month).

Thanks againg

Jrodanapolis

#8: Post by Jrodanapolis »

I think you'll have an easier time doing back to back roasts with the Huky and you will certainly have more control with it over a Behmor.

Your batch size will still be smaller than desired, but I think you could get away with 1 lb batches (1 lb green) and that would put you at 7 batches per month to get you to 2.5 kgs assuming 15-20% weight loss. You could say two roast sessions per month, 4 batches each session. That would take maybe 1.5 hrs each session?

I think the Huky is my choice for the best roaster for under 2k, but if you can stretch to 3-4k ish then you could do the Bullet or an Arc. I'm hoping to upgrade one day as well... but I cant justify that much on a roaster quite yet!

Edit: you might be able to find a used Bullet for 2k... check the Facebook page because it seems like they go up for sale there more than any other place. Other roasters I'd say here, another coffee forum or craigslist but for Bullets they have a dedicated comment for finding used Bullets.

chuckcoffee

#9: Post by chuckcoffee »

Been doing 454 grams for over 250 roasts with consistent bean color. For sure the fact that it is a gas roaster means back to back roasts are fast. In fact I need to be careful not to do too many roasts cause it's a lot of fun, LOL. Typically roast 3-5 lbs per session

jacob.kole

#10: Post by jacob.kole »

The 80% rule is pretty commonly stated and what I used to do with mine. I felt like it gives a bit of margin and additional control on the gas rather than running it full open. Will also depend on the burner you use as well as ambient temp and air settings to be fair.