How long do you store coffee greens before roasting them? - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Tonefish

#21: Post by Tonefish »

JohnB. wrote:George Howell has some good info on freezing greens on his website.
I went there looking but couldn't find it. Would you happen to have a link? Based upon what I found there I'm wondering if he might have pulled the info to put into a book to be sold?
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by JohnB. »

It is briefly mentioned here: http://www.georgehowellcoffee.com/terroir-coffee/ but the new site has dropped the page describing their greens storage process. This article discusses it: https://www.baristamagazine.com/george- ... n-coffees/
LMWDP 267

Tonefish

#23: Post by Tonefish replying to JohnB. »

Thank You John! I'll have to give that a go.

Happy Roasts!
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

GC7

#24: Post by GC7 »

I hid away a few pounds of good roasted coffee in a -80* C freezer at work. Sampling 2-3 years later showed me that at least from memory they were good as when they were roasted.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by FotonDrv replying to GC7 »

Geoffery, do you work in a cryogenics lab??!!! That is serious cold.

edit: just looked at your bio. You do work in a lab with cryo capability; I suspect freezer space costs $$ an arm and a leg.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

GC7

#26: Post by GC7 replying to FotonDrv »

Freezer space costs nothing extra so long as its available. We have plenty of reserve. It's not something I would do as a regular course of storage but it did make a point to me. I keep my extra roasted coffee in one way valve bags, tape over valve at -20. Three months and roasted coffee is defrosted and used. I don't have the extra home freezer storage so refrigerated temperatures in a vac sealed bag works well for greens. I'm sure the -80 would keep greens fresh indefinitely.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by FotonDrv »

I wonder if anyone has tried seeing what outer space does to coffee. I think someone has already had an espresso machine in space but I never heard how they treated the beans/coffee prior to brewing.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

crunchybean

#28: Post by crunchybean »

Has anybody tried putting some (maybe a cup or two) of rice in a cheese cloth or something similar and keeping it in the plastic bag?

I am having some Ethiopia Kochere from SM fluctuate on me. Florida is pretty humid and I think that it's not really the coffee deteriorating or anything but the greens absorbing some extra humidity from the air that is affecting how I roast the coffee.