How Fast to First Crack?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
DavidZ

#1: Post by DavidZ »

I bought a Behmor 1600 Plus about a month ago and am learning how to roast coffee.

Is there an ideal time to get to first crack? I read that you should target about 7:00 to 7:30 minutes from the start of the roast. Does the optimal time to first crack depend on the size of the batch, the bean, etc?

crunchybean

#2: Post by crunchybean »

There isn't an ideal time/temp to reach first crack unless already established for that once coffee. Maybe the same coffee the next harvest will be similar but not exactly the same (maybe by chance). I think what might help is to look at those roast markers as general layouts that will still require tweaking to reach color of roast and vary from bean to bean.

cafemolino

#3: Post by cafemolino »

DavidZ wrote:I bought a Behmor 1600 Plus about a month ago and am learning how to roast coffee.

Is there an ideal time to get to first crack? I read that you should target about 7:00 to 7:30 minutes from the start of the roast. Does the optimal time to first crack depend on the size of the batch, the bean, etc?
how much green coffee and temp? on what parameters is this target measured ? for me very early however if only 200grs then could be but there is no rule on that, natural product, air humidity, ambient temps etc. always different.

sixysixss
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by sixysixss »

If you haven't already, read the Royal Coffee blog post about roasting on the Behmor.

https://royalcoffee.com/roasting-on-the ... 1600-plus/