How do you roast high grown coffee? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
bmb

#11: Post by bmb »

What I would do with my Gene:
Heat till 222°C, charge, lower temp to 207°C and 15', set the second timer for 9', allow drying for 9 - 10', raise temp to 215°C for 1', raise again to 236-238 till 1C, hold temp for 1' during 1C.
From here on you have several development choices : hold the same temp till the expected color (1-2' for lighter roasts), or go down a little (232-235) for about 3-4 minutes for middle roasts. Dark roasts either more temp or more time.

Remember that the Gene is a hibrid, behavior is a little different as drum roasters, specially during the drying phase.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#12: Post by cannonfodder »

I do a slightly higher charge temperature with a longer soak in the drying phase with higher air flow in the roaster. That gets an even dry and gets the core of the coffee up to temp. Then ramp the heat (still higher airflow) until I am on the verge of first crack then reduce the heat. I think the dense beans carry more momentum into 1st crack and if you do not feather your heat down you can blow through first crack. If you do not get a good dry it will also tend to tip the beans as the excess moisture vents out the split and burns the ends. Overall roast time is slightly longer than a 'normal' bean. They roast more like a peaberry IMHO.
Dave Stephens