HotTop Stuck Eject Door

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Headala

#1: Post by Headala »

I have a new used HotTop and today the eject door failed to open. I can't even push it open with a long tool. Is it supposed to be able to be pushed open? Or is it "locked" closed until the solenoid energizes? Thanks for the help.

Alan

PS- in addition to keeping a fire extinguisher nearby, also keep a pot handler. I was able to get the beans out by opening the front so they didn't catch fire.

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

The solenoid may be the issue. Depending on your environment (open concrete patio, for instance) I would consider whether it's best to open a roaster where beans are close to combustion because they can safely burn inside, using the roaster as containment.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

RobertL

#3: Post by RobertL »

What model Hottop do you have? Newer models have a manual dump knob on the back of the roaster. I believe you can upgrade your roaster if it doesn't have it.

Headala (original poster)

#4: Post by Headala (original poster) »

Thank you Gary and Robert for the replies, and for the safety reminder. Unfortunately it's the plain B model so no manual release.

So so you guys know if the door should be "locked" when closed or if it can be pushed open? The manual made it sound like it can be pushed open in which case maybe there's something jamming the mechanism rather than the solenoid...ugh. I only have 3 roasts on this guy so far!

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

It's been awhile since I owned one. Hottop has excellent support and offers replacement parts, so it's probably worth calling them with reference to your model.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Randy G.

#6: Post by Randy G. »

drgary wrote:It's been awhile since I owned one. Hottop has excellent support ....
Yes they do! ;_

Alan,

I don't want to use HB to deal with this in detail, but contact me at Hottop USA and we can give you a number of ways to test and then repair this problem. Do not use the roaster again until we get this straightened out.

Generally, if you use a wooden dowel or handle of a wood or plastic spoon, you should be able to open the door by pushing in at the BOTTOM edge of the door.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

#7: Post by Headala (original poster) »

I was able to solve this issue:

In my situation, after pulling everything apart and losing 5,169 screws, I figured out that the shaft of the ejection solenoid was fouled with some sort of sticky residue. After cleaning it off (just dish soap and hot water), it was good as new. I cleaned the inside of the solenoid with a q-tip and denatured alcohol. I was then able to do 3 roasts yesterday afternoon. Hopefully the fix will last a while!

With the way the air flows in the HT, it's a wonder coffee oils and smoke residue don't foul the solenoid and drum motor more often.

turtle

#8: Post by turtle »

They now make a "cover" that goes over the entire eject mech, between the bottom of the motor and the solenoid.

This came with my plus kit but after twisting off 2 drill bits trying to go through the double thick chassis, I tossed it in the box with the old dual probe rear wall and called it a day.

These roasters are not that hard to take apart so no big for me. Besides I put in a new solenoid not too long ago when I upgraded to the emergency bean dump

the cover is the metal bit in the upper left corner of this pic from the hottop site (the plus upgrade kit picture)

http://hottopusa.com/Merchant2/graphics ... UK-105.jpg

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

#9: Post by Headala (original poster) replying to turtle »

Ah, thanks for that. I had assumed that was something for the door mechanism. I'm glad they made that improvement.

At this point I'm not super concerned because I believe a reverse air mod is in my future, thus keeping all those components much cleaner and cooler. It's pretty much impossible for me to leave something unmodified! :oops: