HotTop Roaster caught fire - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Randy G.

#11: Post by Randy G. »

Illyfex,
Yes, the microswitch is the chaff tray safety switch. To test you can disconnect the heating element wires from the main circuit board.

That was a LOT of chaff inside the roaster. If that would have ignited then the roaster would have been a write off. It will coast about $250 to fix (parts + shipping). It is worth it because you can sell it for more than that, certainly.

Check these resources:
Cleaning a Dirty Hottop Roaster
Hottop USA User Maintenance of Hottop Coffee Roasters

If the agitation motor turns you can ask for the spindle when you order. He should just give you one.

"I wuz nowwaa near Joysee when the fire started... I gots me witnesses. Fugedabowdit!"
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

cannonfodder
Team HB

#12: Post by cannonfodder »

What you describe does happen. When the beans hit the air, woosh. When I still had my hottop I would take the back off every year and clean out the chaff. It does build up inside the machine. That is why my roasting cart has a fire extinguisher attached to one of the legs. Better to have and not need then need and not have. There is not much out there that will best a HotTop without going small commercial which is what I did. Most will simply be a lateral move. HT has made a lot of improvements in the machine over the years.
Dave Stephens

Randy G.

#13: Post by Randy G. »

From the photos, here is a preliminary list:
Large Chaff tray P-4b $20.00
Base $70.00
Cooling Tray Base $60.00
Right Side panel $10.00
Left Side Panel $10.00
Panel Under Chaff Tray $25.00
Rubber Feet $0.00
Rear Cover for "-2" models $20.00
Chaff Tray Switch Wires $5.00
Bean Cooling Fan (located in base, under the Cooling Tray) Price: $30.00
Bean Agitation Arm Motor $20.00
(most parts come with replacement screws, but be sure to ask)
TOTAL: $270

Disconnect the heating element and locate the wires where they will not cause a shor. There should be a red LED on the main circuit board which illuminates when the roaster is plugged in. If not, check the black thing connected across T2 and T3. It is a fuse. Then connect the control panel and see if you can start the roaster. Becasue of the chaff tray switch probem you will have to go HERE (http://www.hottopusa.com/upgrade_B_A1.pdf) and perform step 19A to fool the machine into thinking that it does NOT have a chaff tray switch. This trick will not work on a KN-8828P-2K; only for the KN-8828B-2K model.

Illyfex2 (original poster)

#14: Post by Illyfex2 (original poster) »

Well, I'm afraid the roaster is toast. Tried re-connecting everything, but it won't turn on and it trips the circuit breaker immediately.

Not sure if I'll go the route of another HotTop. May look for something low-tech.

Randy G.

#15: Post by Randy G. »

Illyfex2 wrote:Well, I'm afraid the roaster is toast. Tried re-connecting everything, but it won't turn on and it trips the circuit breaker immediately.
The most likely causes of the tripping GFCI in the particular is the beam agitation motor.

Disconnect those 2 wires, plug the roaster in, and try again.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

turtle

#16: Post by turtle »

worth repairing and not to hard to do.

My first hottop was a fire restore.

Keep it clean.

As recommended a squirt bottle with a mist/adjustable nozzle is all you need to prevent a run away fire.

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

Illyfex2 (original poster)

#17: Post by Illyfex2 (original poster) »

Randy G. wrote:From the photos, here is a preliminary list:
Large Chaff tray P-4b $20.00
Base $70.00
Cooling Tray Base $60.00
Right Side panel $10.00
Left Side Panel $10.00
Panel Under Chaff Tray $25.00
Rubber Feet $0.00
Rear Cover for "-2" models $20.00
Chaff Tray Switch Wires $5.00
Bean Cooling Fan (located in base, under the Cooling Tray) Price: $30.00
Bean Agitation Arm Motor $20.00
(most parts come with replacement screws, but be sure to ask)
TOTAL: $270

Disconnect the heating element and locate the wires where they will not cause a shor. There should be a red LED on the main circuit board which illuminates when the roaster is plugged in. If not, check the black thing connected across T2 and T3. It is a fuse. Then connect the control panel and see if you can start the roaster. Becasue of the chaff tray switch probem you will have to go HERE (http://www.hottopusa.com/upgrade_B_A1.pdf) and perform step 19A to fool the machine into thinking that it does NOT have a chaff tray switch. This trick will not work on a KN-8828P-2K; only for the KN-8828B-2K model.
Randy, thanks for the detailed info. I really appreciate the help! I will check this all out this week/weekend and post any updates. Thanks again!

Dave