Hottop KN-8828B-2K+ First Roast - El Salvador

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
newguy1

#1: Post by newguy1 »

hey everyone im new here but hope to become more active. I purchased rte Hottop and have been using it this weekend... ive become really passionate about it since reading the coffee roasters companion..... please give me some feedback if any... thx!

the coffee tasted good not being bias ;)

RobertL

#2: Post by RobertL »

I would try to shorten the time to end of drying, eight minutes is a long time.

Advertisement
newguy1 (original poster)

#3: Post by newguy1 (original poster) »

thanks rob!

#4: Post by newguy1 (original poster) »

RobertL wrote:I would try to shorten the time to end of drying, eight minutes is a long time.
hey rob ignore the start i was late hitting the 'start' key... but take alook:

is this better? thx!

LCProaster

#5: Post by LCProaster »

Im new to roasting myself. I'v been roasting on my Hottop 2k+ for about 3 months. My roasts have been turning out descent. I have read here on HB to keep my ET around 400°F and that has been helping. Also have you read The Coffee Roasters Companion yet? Its a great piece of info and a good starting poit for us newbies.

#6: Post by newguy1 (original poster) »

nice to meet you dude! yes i am just coming to the end i will be reading it constantly! just got my colombian greens :)

LCProaster

#7: Post by LCProaster »

Hey, Newguy1.
How have your roasts been going?
I usuall keep heat at 100% till after dry then down to 80% then drop heat again at and also some times before 1st crack. With the fan i use 20 - 50% at 212° for 30 - 60 seconds then something like 20% at the end of dry 50% at start of firts crack then 100% as 1st gets rolling then i cut the heat. Sometimes i lift the rear filter or remove it completely if i feel like my BT is shooting to high for my target development time.
When i get home to my PC i will post some of my roasts from artisan. I still have a few pounds of Colombian at home and the artisan profile i used to roast them if you would like to see. ??

Advertisement
leftiesrule

#8: Post by leftiesrule »

Hi LCProaster!

I'd be interested in taking a look at your profiles! I've also got a 2k+ and have been through about 30 roasts. It would be great to compare what I'm doing to what others are doing.

kandjdeans77
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by kandjdeans77 »

I have been roasting on a hottop for a little over a year. I experimented with every variable. In order to get to a faster drying time you will need to preheat and charge your beans much hotter. My best results were when I charge at 390F (bean temp) for light roasts and 375 for medium roasts. I usually charge 240g of beans. Drying is done around 4:30. I Lower power for first minute of roast them bring it back to 100. I was really trying hard to get very light roasts and I jus couldn't until I started charging at higher temps. Hope that helps a little.

I think one of the best things you could do is buy a 5 pound bag of one bean and just experiment with the roaster see what the airflow does at certain times drop time etc. this is how I learned, how the machine works on and affects the roast in its different stages .

kandjdeans77
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by kandjdeans77 »

Here is one of my roast logs that was almost perfect! City+ roast on Dry Processed Mexico beans.