Home roasting, left unchecked, can lead to this... - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Marcelnl »

I can only say that you need matching speakers, WE 16A perhaps?
LMWDP #483

Randy G.

#12: Post by Randy G. »

Almico wrote:Too funny Randy. But if there was a wife, there would be no roaster, or sailboat, or motorcycle or.....
We will have been married for 49 years next month. Had a motorcycle since '81 and nearly 100,000 road two-up miles. Did two-up holidays to Canada, to Montana twice, weekly "races" up to the Rock Store in Cornell when we lived in the Valley, and did a multi-week tour of Continental Europe and England. Had many hundreds of miles on our mountain bicycles as well as our custom Landshark road tandem ("Twinshark"). Had 4 Hottops, and while there is no comparison to that underground steam locomotive you have, I will soon be installing my Santoker 500 Revolution roaster. So, yes, good wives are hard to find. 8)
Espresso! My Espresso! - http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
LMWDP #644

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by Peppersass »

Almico wrote:Too funny Randy. But if there was a wife, there would be no roaster, or sailboat, or motorcycle or....
Depends on the wife. 27 years here, but only because we got started late.

I don't have a sailboat (or want one) but I do have a roaster (tiny compared with yours), a high-end espresso machine and grinder, a motorcycle, four radio towers, one of which is 125' high with six massive antennas on it (I did/do all the climbing to build and maintain it), a ton of radio equipment and stereo gear, and piano black speakers that are 6' tall and weigh 200 lbs each -- they dominate the living room.

My hobbies would be a nightmare for many wives, but mine seems to feel it's worth the sacrifice. Once I overheard a friend of hers asking about the big tower: "Why did you let him do that?" My wife replied, "Because it makes him happy." 8)

I look for things that make her happy, too. Perhaps the most important is that I do all the grocery shopping and cooking. She loves how her female friends envy her for that.

So what brand/model is that big black monster?

Almico

#14: Post by Almico »

Marcelnl wrote:I can only say that you need matching speakers, WE 16A perhaps?
I have a pair of VOTT A5s for just such a purpose. They've been in the LR for a few years (again, no wife), but I could use the room.

Almico

#15: Post by Almico »

Peppersass wrote:So what brand/model is that big black monster?
I thought I had a good one, wife that is. You guys are lucky. But I couldn't be happier being single. I come home, take my shoes off in the middle of the LR floor, because that's where they belong. Toilet stays up, because that's where IT belongs. etc. Since I've eliminated all the estrogen from my life it's uncanny how less wrong I am on a daily basis...20 years now, but I digress.

It's a San Franciscan SF-75

Almico

#16: Post by Almico »

hankua wrote:Congratulations!
Our local roaster has one for several years now, it's really loud!
Hopefully it came with the loader :)
Supposedly, this one is whisper quiet, at least that's what the website says. I was looking at a 1956 Probat UG15 a couple of weeks ago. We did a couple of roasts on it and I was stunned how quiet it was, even with the afterburner going. I measured 67dB at 1M.

EddyQ

#17: Post by EddyQ »

Is that a SF? I see a road trip in the future! Love to see it in action.

No idea why my photo got inverted.

Randy G.

#18: Post by Randy G. »

I had a 1979 BMW R100RT that was lost in the fire. Maybe worse, and for those who know, I had a pair of Saras Tower speakers. Saras ST-200 speakers were made in a small shop by an immigrant by the name of Rudy Stoklos. He didn't sell replacement speakers- you sent him a bad one and he rebuilt them. If the name is a bit familiar, his son, Randy Stoklos, was a famous beach volleyball player early on in the sport.
Espresso! My Espresso! - http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
LMWDP #644

hankua

#19: Post by hankua »

Almico wrote:Supposedly, this one is whisper quiet, at least that's what the website says. I was looking at a 1956 Probat UG15 a couple of weeks ago. We did a couple of roasts on it and I was stunned how quiet it was, even with the afterburner going. I measured 67dB at 1M.
I guess "loud" is relative, the guys at that roastery keep music blasting in the background. For me the hydraulic ram on the SF75 discharge gate warrants earplugs, can't hear first crack either. They roast outstanding coffee at Bold Bean, you should be able to do the same.

Almico

#20: Post by Almico »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Congratulations Alan. Tell us more please!
First order of business will be to poke a hole in it for a new BT probe. Hopefully, not too hard. I believe SF roasters are all mild steel, no cast iron or SS.