Home Fluid Bed Roaster with Artisan & PID: Video, Sharing progress and giving thanks

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
hannson

#1: Post by hannson »

A big shout out to everyone on this forum for sharing tips and experiences!

Especially this thread on Arduino/Artisan Getting Artisan to talk to Arduino, thanking robhh, spambojambo and many more.

Here is my current Fluid Bed build, with focus on getting Artisan logging the roasts and also using PID with background follow:
1. Arduino Uno - SSR integration to control heat (I added a prototype shield) and max6675 for thermocouple
2. Raspberry PI 4 with 3.5" screen and wifi, running Artisan and connected to my home wifi
3. Artisan with PID enabled
4. Mobile phone/laptop for remote access via VNC over WiFi

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

This is a "different" than standard set up. Do you have good documentation that could be linked on the Artisan sites?
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

hannson (original poster)

#3: Post by hannson (original poster) replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Not yet but I can work on it :)

I referenced and asked for help from many and made changes specific to my build.

There are a few other final touches I am considering but will start drafting some documentation to share :)

#4: Post by hannson (original poster) »

Meanwhile, this is a PID roast, with auto drop.

Qporzk

#5: Post by Qporzk »

You should definitely post more info on the roaster :D

Is it more of a small batch sample roaster, or a higher capacity roaster for a home user?

#6: Post by hannson (original poster) replying to Qporzk »

:) I'd try to take more photos/videos to share (and yes, start working on some documentation).

1. This roasts between 60g to 120g, although it also depends on the size of bean and density. I use a manual controller for the fan, so I can control the amount of bean agitation/movement, because bean density do differ.

2. I usually roast 100g for simplicity LOL.

3. I have been roasting on this small fluid bed roaster setup for about 3-4 years now, and was using roastlogger for logging only. This year, I embarked on an Arduino journey... which to date, included a Raspberry PI so that I can have less wires (but an extra gadget) running to the roasting table :)

Cheers,

#7: Post by hannson (original poster) »

Here is the 'automation' kit

1. Voltage controller for heat with a watt meter connected to it. This is my initial method of controlling heat, pre-Arduino/Artisan days, and I will retain it as a back up in case there are issues with Arduino/Artisan/Raspberry.
2. Voltage controller for fan speed. I'm still using this and still considering whether or not to add a separate voltage/PWM to Arduino/Artisan.
3. SSR. This is connected to arduino for heat control via Artisan.
4. Arduino with a protyping shield, This has connections to SSR, Thermocouple module and Raspberry PI.
5. Raspberry PI. This has Artisan & VNC running, connected to the Arduino and WIFI connection.
Note: If the Raspberry PI breaks down, I can connect a laptop (running Artisan) directly to Arduino.

What is not seen in this photo:
1. Laptop / mobile running VNC, connecting to the Raspberry PI (running Artisan) via WIFI
2. The fluid bed roaster and its peripherals.

Future Plans I'm still thinking of:
1. Build a casing for these parts (currently, I made a temporary box by cutting/gluing acrylic pieces.
2. Add power brick to power/control Fan via Arduino

Qporzk

#8: Post by Qporzk »

Awesome! Is VNC just for the remote monitoring, or does it serve an additional purpose? Your setup is inspiring me to finally build an enclosure for my horrible mess of wires that run my roaster :oops:

#9: Post by hannson (original poster) replying to Qporzk »

lol...

1. VNC is purely for remote access, because i have raspberry PI (running artisan), which is wired to the arduino. So no other purpose at the moment. Before using the Raspberry PI, i was using a laptop that had a physical wire connected to the arduino.

2. There are other options such as wireless connection within the arduino/artisan eco system, but I prefer wired as much as possible for its stability:
a. thermocouple to be wired to arduino
b. arduino to be wired to a device running Artisan

3. I know what you mean about the wires before there was an enclosure LOL.

#10: Post by hannson (original poster) »

Here is how my roast looks like with the Artisan background follow, PID controls with autodrop.

I'm still figuring out the PID tuning process :)

This screenshot is taken from a laptop that remotely accessed the Raspberry PI through VNC and wifi.