Holiday Gift Guide - 12 Best Coffee Roasters

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#1: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

If you want to compare your home roasts to some that Forbes Considers the Best - here's the list.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kimwesterm ... 6218036c7e
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

happycat

#2: Post by happycat replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

It's a shame this listicle doesn't have any criteria or descriptions of coffee experiences.
LMWDP #603

Iowa_Boy

#3: Post by Iowa_Boy »

Interesting! Agree it would be nice if they listed criteria.
Haven't tried most on the list. Good to have lots of options to look into.

bicktrav

#4: Post by bicktrav »

Forbes got this right. I've bought from just about every roaster they mention. They're all tremendous. If I were to make a list on my own it would look nearly identical.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

I found this blurb about the author on the Coffee Review site:
Kim Westerman is a licensed Q-grader, a longtime food, wine and travel writer and a certified sommelier. Her work has been published in the New York Times, Forbes, the San Francisco Chronicle, Bay Area Bites, and many other publications. She happily brings her sensory training in wine to the evaluation of coffee in Coffee Review's Berkeley lab. She also handles communication with roasters and review logistics.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by RockyIII »

I have probably tried only about 20 roasters in 10 years, and not a single one of them is mentioned in the article. Maybe I need to experiment more, but I tend to buy repeatedly from the same roaster when I find one I like. Right now that is Caffè Lusso and Counter Culture.

Rocky

crunchybean

#7: Post by crunchybean »

yakster wrote:I found this blurb about the author on the Coffee Review site:
I think I've also heard her on NPR through Splendid table, not to sure though.

I've had Driftaway and it's not bad, not bad at all. I barely missed an open cupping at Bird Rock, and too lazy to wake up and drive to San Diego when I was visiting LA and doing a coffee crawl. Though I do regret it now.

bicktrav

#8: Post by bicktrav »

I stopped by Bird Rock when I was in San Diego. It's great. They roast a touch darker than most third wave shops, not French or Vienna or anything, just a really nice balanced medium. Definitely worth stopping in next time you're in the area.