Help a Newbie, Hottop and Artisan

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
SteveNLCanada

Postby SteveNLCanada » Oct 09, 2017, 4:38 pm

Hi Everyone,
Finally got a chance to signup with this forum. A lot of great information here! I recently purchased the Hottop 2K+ Roaster. Plan to start a Roastery/Cafe with a larger roaster when my wife retires in 2-4 years. In the meantime, I'm on a steep learning curve when it comes to coffee roasting. I'm a retired teacher with a science/math background and the more I learn about coffee roasting, the more I'm loving it. So far I've purchased the Scott Rao "Coffee Bible" along with two other great coffee books (Coffee Obsession & World Atlas of Coffee).

I've done 9 roasts (7 Brazilian Santos and 2 Guatemalan). The challenges now are:
1) Getting comfortable with the Artisan Software:
- What Charge temp to use (currently aim for 380ET)
- How to use Heat and Fan more effectively
- Trying to keep ROR slow and steady
- Being more aware of SC, when it comes and when to drop to get a nice med roast
- Overall consistency
2) Training my coffee palate
3) Working with my Rocky Rancilio grinder to get the proper grinds to match the brewing technique.

If anyone has a chance to have a quick look at my profile for Guatemalan (Batch#9), and give me a few pointers, that would be great.
BTW, this is an awesome forum!
Cheers,
Steve Bannister

leftiesrule

Postby leftiesrule » Oct 12, 2017, 2:00 pm

Welcome!

I purchased a 2k+ about a year ago and still haven't gotten the hang of things. Fan usage is still perplexing and accounting for the lag in the heating element can be difficult.

These days I charge 250 grams of beans at 300F BT with power at 100% and fan at 30%. The fan stays until around FC where I'll bump it up depending on if I want to accelerate FC and/or evacuate the smoke. I'll decrease the power throughout the roast and usually am at about 50% entering FC.

Your roast looks pretty good to me! I haven't really figured out how to minimize the spikes I see at around 5:30 and right before FC in your graph. I hope others can chime in here!!

-Adam

SteveNLCanada

Postby SteveNLCanada » Oct 20, 2017, 10:12 am

Thanks!

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner (was out of town). I will definitely take your advice and do some more tweaking. I have been using 200g and I recently changed the charge from 380F to 325F with 100H and 0Fan at the start. I'm going to try 220g and 350F charge and either start the fan right away or kick it up more just before TP. It's that big hump of the ROR after TP that I want to smooth out a bit.

Right now I haven't roasted for awhile and I can't get my mac to take control of my hottop.

Any suggestions? Maybe I should post this problem somewhere else.

Thanks again,

Steve

Sponsored by intelligentsiacoffee.com
www.intelligentsiacoffee.com: home of the black cat project