Help Getting Started with PID and Artisan - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
drgary
Team HB

#21: Post by drgary »

I wonder if you don't have Artisan set up for the device you're using between your probes and your computer so that it's not scaling temperature changes correctly?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ontum (original poster)

#22: Post by ontum (original poster) »

Interesting. How would I investigate that?

drgary
Team HB

#23: Post by drgary »

Config -> Device

Also there's a detailed setup guide on the Artisan site.

https://artisan-scope.org/docs/setup/

And there's a blog post on device selection here:

https://artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.c ... ction.html
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ontum (original poster)

#24: Post by ontum (original poster) »

After thinking about, I don't think the problem is with Artisan. The BT temperature readout on the PID and the one on Artisan match.

Marcje

#25: Post by Marcje »

ontum wrote:I got Artisan up and going, but cannot figure out what is going on the the BT. The BT dipped down after the charge and never came up. The beans seemed to roast okay, but I don't know what is going on. The BT probe is a 3mm x 50mm RTD probe for the BT and the ET is 5mm. Do I have a bad probe??? Here is my first ever Artisan Roast.

FYI these numbers are in Celsius, even though there is an F

<image>
Maybe ET and BT are switched?
In Artisan, under the 'Roast' tab, you can toggle "Switch ET <-> BT"
Maybe that helps

And I'm still a bit puzzled what you mean with PID. Are you talking about a device that actually controls the temperature (that's what the PID does), or merely a device that connects a temperature probe with Artisan?

ontum (original poster)

#26: Post by ontum (original poster) »

Hello, Thank you for the feedback. Currently I can easily trace the wires to each probe, as I don't have them installed in the cabinet of the machine or in a panel yet. So I can see that the probes aren't switched.

I just roasted another batch and the BT temperature pattern was similar. After the initial decline, the temperature never comes back up. I'm not sure what is going on.

I have two PID temperature controllers installed. They are the Delta DTA PIDs with RS485 communication capabilities so I can control the PIDs with Artisan. If I'm using artisan I won't use the PID function of the PIDs, and it will act as a pass through. This allows me to use the roaster with the Delta PIDs without Artisan if I ever need to. And I'm only using one on of the PIDs output for the heating element. The other PID is just an expensive temperature monitor.

Does this make any sense?
-
Craig