Have Your Home Roasts Assessed

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
another_jim
Team HB

#1: Post by another_jim »

The best way for a beginning or intermediate home roaster to improve is to have someone knowledgeable assess their roasts. I'll be happy to do this for fellow HB members; and I hope other experienced home roasters will help out as well.

Send us a roast and a green sample of the same coffee you roasted. We will roast the green sample to the same level, compare them, and give you a private report. My address is in the JPEG below.

Here's the drill:
  • Please PM me or other tasters prior to sending the roast to make sure we're available.
  • Send the coffee on the day you roasted or as soon after as possible.
  • The roasted coffee must be packaged for freezing -- freezer bag or mylar. There should be at least 1/4 pound if you want it done as espresso, but can be as little as 2 ounces if for brewing only.
  • The green coffee should weigh 1/3 pound (this may change depending on the taster)
  • The roasted coffee you sent will kept frozen until the green coffee we roast has caught up in age. Then we compare the two roasts
  • The more you can tell us about the coffee, roast profile, and intended use, the more useful our feedback and tips will be.
This service will cost you a suggested $25 contribution to a coffee related charity; please contribute directly, do not send us money.

Jim Schulman