Hard-Wiring Artisan Event Buttons

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
curmudgeon

#1: Post by curmudgeon » Aug 05, 2019, 11:59 am

One of my other hobbies is building custom keyboards (currently typing on THIS, mouse for scale) Image
I could easily make a 16-25 key macro-pad or similar...could this be used as a de-facto hardwired setup for inputting air and gas values into Artisan via event buttons?

I didn't see anything through searching, but that's not saying much...

curmudgeon

#2: Post by curmudgeon » Aug 07, 2019, 10:15 pm

Playing around today while roasting, I found that pressing Q, W, E, or R indicated Air, Drum, Damper, Burner respectively. If you were to type an integer after that number, the system reads that in as a percentage value of the aforementioned variables and inputs it just as if I pressed an event button. Is there documentation of this behavior anywhere? Like I said above, my searches yielded nothing.

All I need to do now is create a 2x10 macro pad (assuming I'm inputting incrementing values of air and gas only, incrementing at 10% each), and write the macros such that each key is some combination of Q or R and an integer. Bam.

curmudgeon

#3: Post by curmudgeon » Nov 20, 2019, 10:00 am

I 3D printed the base plate/frame of the keyboard last night (pics to follow).

Next up, adding the vintage Cherry Blacks and hand wiring with diodes. The pro micros should arrive in a few weeks from China, and I'll get everything programmed! Looking forward to it!

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC » Nov 20, 2019, 10:39 am

I can't believe I missed this thread!

I'll be excited to see the outcome, though I'm not at all tech savvy. I think I understood about 1/2 of what you wrote :D

EvergreenBuzzBuzz

#5: Post by EvergreenBuzzBuzz » Nov 20, 2019, 11:43 am

FWIW, the imminent release of the next Artisan will let you choose the button size: tiny, small, large.

Curious how you will make the buttons for this and how easy is it to change them?
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

curmudgeon

#6: Post by curmudgeon » Nov 20, 2019, 6:39 pm

curmudgeon wrote:I 3D printed the base plate/frame of the keyboard last night (pics to follow).
As promised, here's a quick shot of where I stand. I'm not 100% set on those keycaps, but it's what I had around, so I tossed them on to see how they'd look. My final plan is to print my own decals, so it really won't matter what keycaps I use.... maybe some sweet, sweet profiled SA (ducks behind my Model M :D )

The plan is to have the airflow keys across the top and the gas keys across the bottom. Gas is from 0-100 in increments of 10. Airflow is a little weird: I want to get to a place where my control is accurate to 10%, but right now I basically use 0, 25, 50, 75, and 100. The resulting scale goes like this: 0, 10, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 75, 80, 90, 100. So, 13 keys across the top and 11 across the bottom.

TomC wrote:I can't believe I missed this thread!

I'll be excited to see the outcome, though I'm not at all tech savvy. I think I understood about 1/2 of what you wrote :D
Basically, instead of my finding a virtual button on the screen while I'm trying to adjust gas and airflow, this will be a button I can hit that logs the event for me with one button push. There will be one discrete button for each 10% of gas and airflow; turn a knob, punch a button. Eventually I'd like to get to a point where I can turn the knob on the gas and have my pressure/flow sensor detect the change and log it automagically, but that's a long way off (and much more expensive!)
EvergreenBuzzBuzz wrote:FWIW, the imminent release of the next Artisan will let you choose the button size: tiny, small, large.

Curious how you will make the buttons for this and how easy is it to change them?
The buttons are linked to the Q, W, E, R button functionality I mentioned above, so the keypresses will be Q + 0, Q + 10, Q + 20, etc. Changing them is as simple as editing the config file and reflashing the microcontroller - I could do a complete keyboard rewrite in less than 10 minutes. If I want a different form factor, that's as simple as printing a new base and popping the switches in, plus a little re-soldering. The amount of plastic I have in the current design comes out to less than $1.

mkane

#7: Post by mkane » Nov 20, 2019, 10:16 pm

Sell me one please

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC » Nov 21, 2019, 1:15 am

curmudgeon wrote:

The buttons are linked to the Q, W, E, R button functionality I mentioned above, so the keypresses will be Q + 0, Q + 10, Q + 20, etc. Changing them is as simple as editing the config file and reflashing the microcontroller - I could do a complete keyboard rewrite in less than 10 minutes. If I want a different form factor, that's as simple as printing a new base and popping the switches in, plus a little re-soldering. The amount of plastic I have in the current design comes out to less than $1.
Very cool! USB connection or are you going to eventually do some wifi dongle built in?

Count me as interested if you ever decide to make a few to sell.

curmudgeon

#9: Post by curmudgeon » Nov 21, 2019, 11:17 am

Your confidence in my abilities to pull this off is greater than my own! :lol:
I'm open to the concept of building more, but I want to get all the bugs ironed out on this one first. I realized last night sitting at my roaster that it would be silly to go to all this work and not include dedicated buttons for Dry End, First Crack, etc, so I'm going to look into keyboard shortcuts for those as well.

This one is actually pretty cheap for me to make, since I'm basically using up odds and ends from other projects, but if I were to source the all the pieces to make one from scratch, the cost could quickly go over $60 in components alone, depending on switch and keycap choices (sculpted SA are a dream to type on, but can be more than $1 each... and don't even get me started on artisan keycaps - let's just say you could buy an espresso machine for how much some people are paying for a single keycap!) But I digress...

In bulk, I could see them being closer to $20-$30 ish, but that's assuming there's enough interest. It's kind of a niche product.

Also, I'm not sure how that would work here. Other forums (fora?) that I've frequented clamped down pretty hard on advertising hand made goods and required the builders to register as vendors. I'm not sure how that would work here, but I wouldn't want to unknowingly cross that line before even completing my first prototype.

Edit: This one is going to be wired USB. I've not built a wireless keyboard yet, although it is on my bucket list. It adds a fair amount of complexity, plus you have to remember to keep the battery charged. For my setup, I'm pretty much right in front of a laptop, so having a wired board really isn't much of a hardship.

TomC
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC » Nov 21, 2019, 12:27 pm

Marinate on it and if/when you feel like proceeding, just put a post in the Buy & Sell forum. We/I don't mind small scale folks putting threads together to discuss an idea or project. If you get serious about it you're welcome to post here as well with an "Interest check" and just direct folks to PM you.