Hard-Wiring Artisan Event Buttons - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
curmudgeon

#11: Post by curmudgeon » Nov 22, 2019, 2:29 pm

TomC wrote:Marinate on it and if/when you feel like proceeding, just put a post in the Buy & Sell forum. We/I don't mind small scale folks putting threads together to discuss an idea or project. If you get serious about it you're welcome to post here as well with an "Interest check" and just direct folks to PM you.
Good to know; Thanks!

Waiting on the few extra pieces to arrive that I didn't have laying around. Hand-wiring should begin in earnest this weekend. Hooray! :)

AssafL

#12: Post by AssafL » Nov 22, 2019, 3:02 pm

A nice addition would be haptic feedback in the keyboard to let you know Artisan received and accepted the command.

Then you don't need to look at the screen.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.
★ Helpful

curmudgeon

#13: Post by curmudgeon » replying to AssafL » Nov 24, 2019, 11:13 pm

I'm not sure how I'd accomplish that offhand, but I know Artisan has a ton of I/O capabilities, so I'm sure it's possible - perhaps through 'Alarm' -> 'Call Program', and then have a script that lights an LED or sounds a buzzer...?

------------------

I didn't get anything of note done on the project this weekend; my roof decided to aerate itself (unbeknownst to me) during a windstorm a few weeks ago, and the 2+" of snow we just got this morning made an unexpected entrance into the attic. Word to the wise: saturated plaster and lath ceilings quickly become a mess when confronted with a recip saw...

AssafL

#14: Post by AssafL » Nov 25, 2019, 11:19 am

curmudgeon wrote:I'm not sure how I'd accomplish that offhand, but I know Artisan has a ton of I/O capabilities, so I'm sure it's possible - perhaps through 'Alarm' -> 'Call Program', and then have a script that lights an LED or sounds a buzzer...?
Or, we can add a beep from the computer (probably easier). Or even auditory feedback "heater on" "dry phase finished". To ensure the key press registered.

curmudgeon

#15: Post by curmudgeon » Dec 03, 2019, 9:35 am

Finally got around to snipping some wire and soldering last night. Kids, holidays, roasting... many things got in the way. To save pins on the micro controller, common practice is to create a key switch matrix - I've got 3 rows and 13 columns, so I'll need 16 pins. Compare that with having a (+) and (-) for each of the 30 keys (60 pins needed), and it allows for a controller with a much smaller footprint. Next up, soldering in the diodes.

Edit: Images don't seem to be loading. I'll work on that.

Edit 2: Images work now.

Column wires

Tee. Dee. Us! Soldering on all the column wires took the better part of an hour. Don't mind the case scarring from careless use of the soldering iron.

curmudgeon

#16: Post by curmudgeon » Dec 06, 2019, 9:18 am

Got the diodes soldered in, and slightly more than half of the column wires last night. Just a few column wires, 3 row wires, solder the matrix to the microcontroller, pack it all up nice, flash the .hex file, and should be time to test! Fingers crossed for this weekend!

AssafL

#17: Post by AssafL » Dec 06, 2019, 10:34 am

The phalanx of 1N4148's is lined up and ready for your command!

curmudgeon

#18: Post by curmudgeon » replying to AssafL » Dec 06, 2019, 2:49 pm

This is my first hand wire, so hopefully they obey!

Chert
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by Chert » Dec 08, 2019, 6:11 pm

curmudgeon wrote:Playing around today while roasting, I found that pressing Q, W, E, or R indicated Air, Drum, Damper, Burner respectively. If you were to type an integer after that number, the system reads that in as a percentage value of the aforementioned variables and inputs it just as if I pressed an event button. Is there documentation of this behavior anywhere? Like I said above, my searches yielded nothing.

Thanks so much for noticing and posting. I clicked the thumbs up yesterday with intent to look into that. The 'Keyboard shortcuts' mentions the feature. For mine W sets my gas slider and R sets my Air speed and actuates the serial command I have for my SSR to AC fan. I was very pleased to have that additional capability.

I enjoy seeing your project unfold as well.