Guatemala San Lucas Toliman, Juan Ana Coffee

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava

#1: Post by Boldjava »

HB member Chert and I chatted off-line. He buys greens from a church mission project. He sent a greens sample to me for evaluation.

Yesterday was Rwanda day at my place. The Gopher Gulpers (homeroasters from throughout Minnesota) gather once a month and help evaluate my buys. Chert suggested posting up and seeing if it might be a candidate for a Winter Roast and Learn exercise. Chert (Flint) is willing to distribute the greens. I suggested he touch base with TomC for discussion.

I love "comfort cups" and can heartily recommend it. It is probably one of the sweetest coffees I have ever had. Might I have finally gotten a roast right? Wonders will never cease.

Guatemala, San Lucas Toliman, Juan Ana Coffee
Region: Lake Atitlan
Elevation at which grown: 5600'
Variety: Typica?
Current crop? Yes
Evaluation by: Gopher Gulpers
Roasted: City plus, on Gene.
Prep: Chemex/KONE3 pourover. 60 grams to 1 finished quart of coffee
3 days rest
----
▪ Fragrance - celery (this descriptor by me always draws hoots and jeers)
▪ Aroma - toffee
▪ Acidity - medium, citric, touch of grapefruit under tongue
▪ Flavor/nuances - Very, very sweet. White sugar. Semi-sweet chocolate bar. Slight nut. Very clean cup.
▪ Body/mouthfeel - Medium cup. Slightly chewy.
▪ Finish/aftertaste - Chocolate and sweetness at the close. Lingers long.

Score: 87.50, 87.0, 87.0, "buy plus."
Comments: Classic comfort cup, not overly complex. "Round cup." Crowd pleaser. Creamed beautifully after evaluation. Will run in through the Cremina this week.

----
Grading system
88 and above: Superb coffee
87: Outstanding coffee
86.5: Buy range, distribution worthy
86.0: If I needed the origin, I would buy it
85.0: Missing an element
84.0: Specialty coffee but not recommended
80-83: Coffee
79 and below: thrown off the table
-----
LMWDP #339

[creative nickname]

#2: Post by [creative nickname] »

I just wanted to write a quick note praising this coffee. I got some from Flint, and I'm tasting my first cup as I write this. Overall it is a lovely cup of coffee, with tons of honey/simple-syrup-like sweetness, bright apple & tangerine acidity, a moderate body reminiscent of strong black tea with whole milk added, and a fruited, lingering finish.

Here's a spider graph of my cupping scores:

(And not to add to the list of hoots and jeers, but I didn't smell any celery in the fragrance, just cloves with hints of brandy and ginger. :) )
LMWDP #435

LDT

#3: Post by LDT »

How does one buy this coffee, if interested? :)

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Chert

#5: Post by Chert »

With our new HUKY this is the first roast of this Gt SLT coffee I've roasted since 2010. Here's the Artisan profile:

If I can improve the roast, it will be to get more of the sweetness that is within the potential of this bean.
LMWDP #198

Chert

#6: Post by Chert »

I received a fresh shipment of these greens. It will be a few weeks before I roast my first pound and I will compare the new lot to the 2014 crop. I'm curious to know how any of you others mostly used this coffee. Single origin? A blender bean? Drip? Espresso? I find it provides a nice caramel sweetness with a fruitier coffee alongside it and as espresso.
LMWDP #198

[creative nickname]

#7: Post by [creative nickname] »

Funny you should revive the thread -- after spending time with some other coffees over the last month or two I've been roasting and brewing this one again recently. I've consumed most of mine as brewed coffee (mostly v60, with a smattering of other methods), but I also pull shots with it from time to time. I like the shots enough on their own that I haven't experimented with blending so far.
LMWDP #435

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

I recently roasted 1 lb. of this. I charged at 350 F, dropped at 405 F at 11 minutes, 5 seconds. With this profile it was juicy and sweet, well developed, and structured with moderate acidity. To taste it I made a Clever Dripper at 204 F, 2.5 min steep time, a bit more than 1 1/2 Aeropress scoops for a cup of liquid.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Chert

#9: Post by Chert »

This is my next effort as I work toward a usable HUKY setup at home. From this I will tweak the profile and add impressions with brewing.

Gary, drop temperatures puzzle me as I compare profiles from others. Your roast is longer than this one and drop 11 F cooler.
LMWDP #198

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

I can try it faster and hotter and see what happens.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!