Guatemala Finca Villaure COE #5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC » Nov 18, 2019, 11:49 am

Burman got a small amount (sold out) of this impressive Guatemalan Finca Villaure Caturra that took 5th place in the COE for Guatemala, the cupping score between first and fifth place was less than half a point. Once I ground a sample this morning and smelled the fragrance wafting off the coffee, I knew I'd want to get more conversations going about it.

I'll share a crude profile, I've procrastinated on adding more thermocouples that port into my datalogger and into Artisan, but the roaster itself has separate BT/ET probes that I navigate the starting temp with (ET) so there isn't much info to glean from. I'll discuss my intentions and adjustments below the graph.

I roasted it on Sunday around noon, so I still expect more development in the cup, but it's already impressive. The ground fragrance of just a tiny 12 gram dose filled my kitchen with a very intense, heady sweet/savory note of caramel/ brown sugar and toasted sesame. A brew of 12g/210g for 2.5 minutes gave me a really enjoyable cup that was well-balanced, nuanced and lingering on the palate with an incredible sweet finish. The acidity is creamy cider apples, nothing sharp, just enough to elevate all the nice caramelized flavors. No significant fruitiness up front, but there's a tangerine and creamsicle note present and a wonderfully sweet, creamy mouthfeel and the finish goes nicely marzipan, especially as the cup cooled. This coffee has elegance and a wow factor in spades.

This was a fast roast, both in overall roast time and especially the ramp but without any visual roast defects on the beans, good color and an appropriate finish after first crack without taking them too hot.. I'm happy with the level of development I see on the beans and in the cup. My next profile I'll stretch the ramp out a bit longer and see what comes of it. On the roast above I got a little lazy with it from the 3-5 minute mark and didn't adjust anything gas wise. Charged at 460ªF, with the gas at 6 inches/H20 dry at about 4.5 minutes, I left the airflow closed off for the first two minutes, then cracked it to 30% . Once I was fully at dry/yellow I opened it up to 50% and left it there for the remainder of the roast. I could tell by my RoR graph that I had the foot mashed into the gas pedal racing thru the maillard phase so I backed that off about 50 seconds before 1st crack was expected and did occur. Held thru the start of 1C until just at the end of 1C, 50 seconds I knocked the heat back gradually and gently to 4. They definitely finished 1C and immediately started giving off beautiful smells like warm asian candies with savory sweet sesame seeds baked into little syrupy treats.
★ Helpful

GC7

#2: Post by GC7 » Nov 18, 2019, 12:08 pm

Thanks Tom. Your report has me anxiously anticipating my shipment. Your description is just what I love in top tier coffees from Guatemala. Mine is still on a truck somewhere unknown to me after ordering it on the 11th and being at a USPS within 10 miles of my home on the 14th. :x

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC » Nov 21, 2019, 1:24 am

With a few days rest now, this coffee still exudes finesse. For those that missed out on the incredible Juan Pena typica micro-lot out of Ecuador in years past, this coffee nibbles right at its heels. It's ridiculously smooth and well-integrated. I'm gulping it as it cools.

jbviau
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by jbviau » Nov 21, 2019, 8:00 am

Sounds good. For those who don't roast their own (myself included), do you know of any roasters offering this?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

GC7

#5: Post by GC7 » Nov 21, 2019, 10:32 am

Thanks Tom for your notes. This looks like a great purchase and well worth the reasonable price.

My shipment was finally delivered yesterday. I roasted a couple of different different Guatemala beans from the same shipment , HueHue Vista Hermosa and the De Dios to get a feel for the roasts before I take on the precious COE. These were taken midway between first and second cracks as a comfort "medium" roast. They roasted beautifully but I will note the HueHue took the heat somewhat differently and reached first crack almost 30 seconds sooner at the same bean temperature using with identical heat input and drop temperature. I'll report back.
★ Helpful

pcofftenyo

#6: Post by pcofftenyo » Nov 22, 2019, 9:18 am

jbviau wrote:Sounds good. For those who don't roast their own (myself included), do you know of any roasters offering this?
Try Onyx.

jbviau
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by jbviau » Nov 22, 2019, 3:31 pm

Tom, I see a few Guatemalas in their online store, but not this specific one. What am I missing? Thanks.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC » Nov 22, 2019, 5:33 pm

I noticed this morning that brewing a more dilute batch unintentionally hitting 1:18, that it seems to push tea-like notes to the forefront and the finish more milk chocolate. But subjectively, not in a pleasing way, because the cool down flavors get a tad too simple. Still a sparkling mouthfeel lingering aftertaste though.

I look forward to reading other's impressions as new roast profiles are shared.

Birdcollin

#9: Post by Birdcollin » Nov 22, 2019, 5:58 pm

I've found that an Aero Press 1:15 has been excellent. Juicy and Fruity front to back. V60 brews have been a bit too bright and underdeveloped/boring. I don't have a profile handy to post but my roast was about 4 min dry 3 min middle 2 min dvlp. I would like to stretch the next one to see if I can develop and sweeten the cup a bit more. Maybe add a touch of chocolate to the finish.

GC7

#10: Post by GC7 » Nov 23, 2019, 2:11 pm

My first batch of Finca Villaure COE #5 roasted up very nicely.

I reached first crack at 8:05 and finished at 10:15. My finish temperature on my bean probe was 430 and that is midway between first and second crack. First was finished and had some 8-10 degrees more development time before second crack would have started. For me this is a nice medium roast that I generally use for aa starting point on most beans that I don't insist on being "light". I thought the 20% or so development was a good start as well.

Well, as Tom mentioned, this coffee did not disappoint even before it's fully rested. Since Halloween has just passed my best interpretation is a clear and distinct candied or caramel apple without being so in your face as the Halloween treat. There is more in there that I think will come out in the following days but it is a coffee that keeps my attention with each sip as it cools and emphasizes the sweet tones. These clean wet process high end coffees are to my tastes just why I enjoy coffee.

edit: Brewing was in a Clever Dripper with 24 gm coffee at 16:1 brew ratio.

As a comparison, I can also recommend the De Dios and Vista Hermosa. They are not as bright or clean but really excellent examples of coffee from Guatemala. As comparison in my "big Guatemala tasting" :-) I finished the last of my SM Boqueroncito as well and prefer the two Burman offerings.