Guatemala Chichen Bodi Leaf - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Another

rgrosz

#12: Post by rgrosz »

The real proof of whether the faster roast is better is how the coffee tastes versus the prior roasts. And this depends solely on your palate.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by mkane (original poster) »

now

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Pick em' apart if you will please.

EddyQ

#15: Post by EddyQ »

I like your smoothing settings much better than your first posted profile.

Typically I like looking at other folks profiles at a few spots during the roast. First, the very beginning, then where drying ends, finally first crack start and drop.

Your charge temp seems rather typical (at least it is pretty close to what I use for both my Quest and North), but where your roast turns and then crosses 200F is around 1 minute. If you compare that point with other profiles, you will see than it is very quick. This may be fine and I have seen many profiles this quick, but it is usually an african bean. 1:30 may be better for a SHB Guat and 2min for a Brazil. But I have also used longer times with Kenyans which I have found helps flavor. With only a 350F charge temp, this means your drum wasn't charged with much of a load. The drum thermal mass very quickly brought your beans from room temp to 200F in 1 minute and had energy to spare. And after turning point, the BT probe finally caught up showning a very high peak RoR. This rapid heating may be ok with a dense bean, but with a softer bean will likely lead to scorching and ashy flavors. To remedy, lower charge temp or charge with more beans.

Second, it appears the drum's excessive thermal heat continues to heat the beans for minutes before you add gas. Is that green point where you turn on gas?? Too late IMO. If you fix the charge temp, you will need to crank gas earlier, like at 3 minutes.

With these two changes, your RoR peak will come down and more gradually decline. You will have more momentum coming out of drying. Other than that, your steady declining RoR looks ok.

First crack temp is much lower than my two roasters. Could this be due to a low charge of beans??

Your development looks interesting. But taste is king with regards to changes in this area.
LMWDP #671

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Thanks for taking the time to evaluate my roast. I'll increase the dosage of beans to get closer to the 1:30-2:00 cross point. I turn on the gas after charge at 30 seconds. Thanks and I'll keep at it.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Last roast out of 15 attempts this morning. TP is always about the same time no matter what I do.

EddyQ

#18: Post by EddyQ »

TP time will alway be the same, but the point where BT recovers and crosses 200F is where I try to judge speed.

I was incorrect thinking you turned up gas later, but in fact you increase it almost immediately. Try holding off and cranking it at 3min.

You really poured on heat with that last roast. And I see it did not increase the temperature FCs. So, it must simply be your BT probe that reads a little low relative to mine.

The BT shape looks pretty good. How did it taste?

Can you share the weight of beans in each of these profiles?
LMWDP #671

EddyQ

#19: Post by EddyQ »

Looking at that last roast again, I think you have the right amount of heat thru the ramp. But you held it a little too long. Try cutting gas and perhaps increasing air a minute before FCs. And as I said, hold off cranking the gas til 2-3min.
LMWDP #671

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Thanks for the feedback. I/m using 150g of beans. Taste was alright. Not ashy this time :D