Greens Alert - Page 148

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
cmapes

#1471: Post by cmapes »

Almico wrote:Is this coffee really $90 a cup?

I'd say "well maybe there's a market for it" but since it's been available for at least 8 months I'd say maybe there isn't. :D

Rickpatbrown

#1472: Post by Rickpatbrown »

Almico wrote:Is this coffee really $90 a cup?

No.

After you roast it, you'll only have 3/4 of a cup :lol:

cmapes

#1473: Post by cmapes »

Happy Mug is back at it again with some Ethiopia Harrar (Sidemo) Durato Bombe G1 and Ethiopia Guji Shakiso G1. I can confirm that the Sidema Durato Bombe is a great bean. I got this last week from Royal and roasted the beans a few days ago, but can confirm that I'm getting blueberry notes. I haven't tried the Guji Shakiso yet, but I did reach out to Matt to see if this is a "Mormora" batch or actually the "Gatame Muka" batch from Royal. Either way, Matt calls the prominent note "peach" which sounds quite nice.

tgappmayer

#1474: Post by tgappmayer replying to cmapes »

happy mug has been straight KILLING it lately, and at super reasonable prices too. can't recommend them strongly enough. i love, love, love this year's crop of the sidamo shantawene dry that they offered - i bought 9 lbs and i already regret not buying 9 more.

cmapes

#1475: Post by cmapes replying to tgappmayer »

Yep, I'm sitting on 15lbs of the Shantawene Natural and not regretting it at all. I just bought 8lbs of the Guji and another 7lbs to top off my stash of the Sidema Durato Bombe. Their sourcing is excellent this year and prices are great as always.

tgappmayer

#1476: Post by tgappmayer replying to cmapes »

If I didn't have 5# of Bodhi Leaf's Sidamo Ardi I would have gotten the Durato Bombe in a heartbeat. Very curious to hear how their Guji is, but I have enough guji coffee to last me a minute. Honestly, I hate to say this, but Happy Mug, Bodhi Leaf, and Roastmasters have all but replaced Sweet Maria's for me this year.

cmapes

#1477: Post by cmapes replying to tgappmayer »

Their Sidamo Ardi is good, so no worries there. I remember more of pineapple than blueberry from that one, but I haven't roasted it for a while. There's a few pounds of it in my stash somewhere. :lol:

I can mirror your comments on Sweet Marias this year. I haven't been impressed with almost anything I've bought from them this year. I think I've bought 8-9 of their offerings and they were small orders that I didn't re-order after roasting them. Happy Mug has been great, Roastmasters is always good (but expensive), and Bodhi leaf is a good value but you need to be a little picky but I've been happy with them.

bradm

#1478: Post by bradm »

+1 on kudos to Happy Mug! 14# of the superb Shantawene, plus excellent picks of natural and washed Guatemalans and who doesn't love CR La Minita? Matt has picked some top shelf greens, and has been super helpful. Not to mention instantaneous shipping, even processing orders on Sunday.

cmapes

#1479: Post by cmapes replying to bradm »

Agreed, Matt is a super cool dude and was willing to chat back and forth about his upcoming Ethiopians last week (which are the ones I'm talking about now) before he listed them. He seems like a cool guy who just really loves coffee. Plus he has great pricing and super fast shipment turn-around times. Great guy.

tgappmayer

#1480: Post by tgappmayer »

bradm wrote:+1 on kudos to Happy Mug! 14# of the superb Shantawene, plus excellent picks of natural and washed Guatemalans and who doesn't love CR La Minita? Matt has picked some top shelf greens, and has been super helpful. Not to mention instantaneous shipping, even processing orders on Sunday.
dumb question i know - but is the la minita really that worthwhile? i'm a little skeptical because i've never had it commercially or roasted at home, but i'm curious - and with shipping costs, i don't want to mess around with a small order. if it's really that good, i might as well go big or go home.