Greens Alert - Page 145

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#1441: Post by mkane »

10# coming here also. We don't have a chest freezer, it's upright @ -6°. Is this cold enough? It's doesn't get opened very often.

GC7

#1442: Post by GC7 »

I anxiously await new crop wet process Ethiopian's every year. I find them cleaner, complex and thoroughly enjoyable as espresso and brewed. Each year I try to make sure I have one highly prized washed Ethiopian. Last year the Guji Uraga was the star with a Crown Jewel enjoyable but not the same flavor profile. I like floral and stone fruit and peach in particular.

I am close to pulling the trigger on this example from Roastmasters. I might wait a bit to see if Uraga becomes available and what its cupping tells me.

https://www.roastmasters.com/guji-washed.html

In all we tasted a couple hundred coffees over the course of a week. To get right to the point, the best washed coffee we found was this lot from the Anasora Cooperative in Guji. Guji is directly adjacent to Yirgacheffe and the coffees share many traits in common.

Super clean and silky texture. Powerful buttery texture. Flavors of sugar cane, maple, melon, peach. Some characteristic regional spice and wild notes. Sweet, long smooth finish. A great example of Ethiopian washed coffee at its best.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#1443: Post by JohnB. »

TomC wrote:10 pounds of the Ethiopia Sidama Shantawene Village incoming from Sweet Maria's. I'm planning on vacuum sealing about 7 pounds of it and storing it in the chest freezer (-14º) and gloating about it in the future.
I picked up 10 lbs as I've finally cleared out all of my older Ethiopian greens and have some space in one of our storage freezers.
LMWDP 267

cmapes

#1444: Post by cmapes »

TomC wrote:10 pounds of the Ethiopia Sidama Shantawene Village incoming from Sweet Maria's. I'm planning on vacuum sealing about 7 pounds of it and storing it in the chest freezer (-14º) and gloating about it in the future.
Do you preferred the washed variety to the natural shantawene? I'm very happy with the Natural Shantawene G1 this year.
GC7 wrote:I anxiously await new crop wet process Ethiopian's every year. I find them cleaner, complex and thoroughly enjoyable as espresso and brewed. Each year I try to make sure I have one highly prized washed Ethiopian. Last year the Guji Uraga was the star with a Crown Jewel enjoyable but not the same flavor profile. I like floral and stone fruit and peach in particular.

I am close to pulling the trigger on this example from Roastmasters. I might wait a bit to see if Uraga becomes available and what its cupping tells me.
Not sure if you've seen this offering: https://royalcoffee.com/product/46429/

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#1445: Post by wingnutsglory »

Not that I was asked :wink: but I'm really liking the Shant Nat at day 6! Exactly what I was after, though it took a little longer than expected to show up.

cmapes

#1446: Post by cmapes replying to wingnutsglory »

It gets to its best between days 8-10. It seems to really need a little time to breathe, more so than some of the other Ethiopian naturals I have. But it's worth it.

GC7

#1447: Post by GC7 »

cmapes wrote:
Not sure if you've seen this offering: https://royalcoffee.com/product/46429/
Thanks for the heads up. I'll wait for the full description, cupping notes and data. I'm not in the market for 22 lb so perhaps they might offer the awaited 1 lb (as many as you want) option. Last year I got mine from Burman who frequently purchase Royal lots.

cmapes

#1448: Post by cmapes replying to GC7 »

Burmans would be my bet as well, and there's an eBayer who frequently buys Royal lots too. I'll let you know if I see it available in smaller quantities.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#1449: Post by yakster »

Ok, twist my arm Tom.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

TomC
Team HB

#1450: Post by TomC »

cmapes wrote:Do you preferred the washed variety to the natural shantawene? I'm very happy with the Natural Shantawene G1 this year.

Haven't bought the natural (yet).
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/