Greens Alert - Page 142

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
false1001

#1411: Post by false1001 »

bradm wrote:This was my first attempt at the Colombian Gesha:

I have no experience with this type of coffee. That said: These beans are obviously a mix of two types. Their unrosted appearance is different, and they yellow very differently. They also needed more heat early in the roast to keep up with a reference temperature curve I took from a washed Guatemalan. As you can see the RoR was pretty bumpy during FC, part of which may have been caused by my late attempt at a "gas" dip. RoR was still pretty high at drop, but I wanted to start with a light roast per SM recommendations.

My "cupping" notes (pour-overs):

Day 1: Sour and vegetal: green apple peel and fresh baby spinach. Strange savory note. Pretty terrible.

Day 2: Still a sour start, but the baby spinach has faded. Hints of fruit and carmel sweetness in finish, after cooling. Better, but a long way to go.

I'm hoping this roast just needs time to improve, but would also very much appreciate some suggestions / criticism for ideas how to modify the profile for the next try.

Thanks! - Brad
Try charging a good bit hotter (220-ish) but reducing heat applied during the roast. Your maillard is way too short for a bean of this type. Stick with a single fan speed while dialing in a coffee, and only adjust fan to increase convection or tame a spike/crash around 1C.

false1001

#1412: Post by false1001 »

COSTA RICA SAN RAFAEL CARLOS FERNÁNDEZ MORERA ANAEROBIC FERMENTATION CROWN JEWEL

https://royalcoffee.com/product/cj1352/

Looks really good....

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#1413: Post by LBIespresso »

false1001 wrote:Try charging a good bit hotter (220-ish) but reducing heat applied during the roast. Your maillard is way too short for a bean of this type. Stick with a single fan speed while dialing in a coffee, and only adjust fan to increase convection or tame a spike/crash around 1C.
With only 60ish roasts under my belt I am hardly one to look to for advice but I will give it a shot. I think the fan adjustment is causing your ROR to flatten. That plus the dip and return to 7 is causing the spike. I would try to stick to one fan setting and just lower the power without the dip. But again, I am a total novice so look to others for more vetted advice. There are so many people here happy to help rookies like us. I hope to learn from the advice you get from others.
LMWDP #580

Rickpatbrown

#1414: Post by Rickpatbrown »

false1001 wrote:COSTA RICA SAN RAFAEL CARLOS FERNÁNDEZ MORERA ANAEROBIC FERMENTATION CROWN JEWEL

Looks really good....
I was looking at this one too. Its not exactly cheap.

I dont know anything about anerobic fermentation. How does this usually affect the bean?

Zaneemomo
Supporter ♡

#1415: Post by Zaneemomo »

I had that Costa Rican a couple of years ago, the cinnamon was incredible.

Rickpatbrown

#1416: Post by Rickpatbrown »

Zaneemomo wrote:I had that Costa Rican a couple of years ago, the cinnamon was incredible.
false1001 wrote:COSTA RICA SAN RAFAEL CARLOS FERNÁNDEZ MORERA ANAEROBIC FERMENTATION CROWN JEWEL

Looks really good....
Sounds intriguing. If anyone wants to split a box, PM me.

Almico

#1417: Post by Almico »

Looks really good....
They need to change that name!

And that brings up one of the biggest obstacles I see in the world of specialty coffee. We spend way more time learning about coffee than figuring out how to sell it beyond the coffee geeks.

cmapes

#1418: Post by cmapes »

Sad that this thread is dead at the moment. It appears we've reached the annual Ethiopian arrival season so we should try to start this up again.

I'll mention that I got 10lbs of Ethiopia Sidamo Shantawene Daye Bensa Natural Grade 1 and it's a certified banger. This is the best fruit bomb Ethiopian that I've had since last year's Sidema Keramo I got from Sweet Marias. This has bold fruit flavors that change as the roasted batch ages. Today I got a distinct and pronounced "watermelon" flavor right in the front of the shot. Very fruity but with a thicker body than my roasts with the 2019 Sidama Keramo which is welcome because I drink mostly espresso. Munching on beans after roasting gave me bold tropical fruit which reminded me of my early roasts with the Sidema Keramo. It's a 92+ pt coffee IMO, and it took 7th place in the Ethiopian Cup of Excellence. I'm going to be vacuum sealing these greens with oxygen absorbers to keep it at it's prime.

Happy mug sold out of the Eth Sidamo Shantawene in about a week. That's not a surprise, they're only charging ~$6/lb. However, I see more bags available in the supply chain so it's going to pop up again. Worth grabbing some if you like fruit bombs.

I have some new Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Aricha "Misty Valley" natural G1 which I also have been playing with, but I screwed the roast up so I'm not judging it at this point yet.

I see a bunch more Ethiopians have arrived and are showing up in Royal Coffee's inventory, what else are you guys finding to be worthy of mention?

cmapes

#1419: Post by cmapes »

I'm also keeping my eyes out for "Ethiopia Masha Natural G1 RFA Organic". If someone sees some offered in smaller quantities than the 60kg bag let me know. I'd also be very interested in hearing a review of it.

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#1420: Post by wingnutsglory »

cmapes wrote:Sad that this thread is dead at the moment. It appears we've reached the annual Ethiopian arrival season so we should try to start this up again.

I'll mention that I got 10lbs of Ethiopia Sidamo Shantawene Daye Bensa Natural Grade 1 and it's a certified banger. This is the best fruit bomb Ethiopian that I've had since last year's Sidema Keramo I got from Sweet Marias. This has bold fruit flavors that change as the roasted batch ages. Today I got a distinct and pronounced "watermelon" flavor right in the front of the shot. Very fruity but with a thicker body than my roasts with the 2019 Sidama Keramo which is welcome because I drink mostly espresso. Munching on beans after roasting gave me bold tropical fruit which reminded me of my early roasts with the Sidema Keramo. It's a 92+ pt coffee IMO, and it took 7th place in the Ethiopian Cup of Excellence. I'm going to be vacuum sealing these greens with oxygen absorbers to keep it at it's prime.

Happy mug sold out of the Eth Sidamo Shantawene in about a week. That's not a surprise, they're only charging ~$6/lb. However, I see more bags available in the supply chain so it's going to pop up again. Worth grabbing some if you like fruit bombs.

I have some new Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Aricha "Misty Valley" natural G1 which I also have been playing with, but I screwed the roast up so I'm not judging it at this point yet.

I see a bunch more Ethiopians have arrived and are showing up in Royal Coffee's inventory, what else are you guys finding to be worthy of mention?
Where'd you pick up the Shantawene? I've only tried the Misty Valley and G1 Kayon Mt Guji so far. Good but need more experimenting. I really liked the Zambia Nat from Happy Mug but that's depleted.