Greens Alert - Page 138

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
[creative nickname]

#1371: Post by [creative nickname] »

That's what makes this pursuit so interesting Dave -- there is so much room for varied experiences, from roasting to brewing to different palettes!

I'm excited to see what sort of shots I can pull with this Geoffrey. Once I do I might start a new thread where folks can share experiences with this coffee without cluttering up the greens thread too much. Or if someone else wants to beat me to the punch, feel free!
LMWDP #435

Boldjava

#1372: Post by Boldjava »

GC7 wrote:
Day 8 -Espresso today...
Bud who roasts and cups has this bean. He said it performed best at day 20 for him in pourover. I fell out of my chair.
-----
LMWDP #339

Advertisement
Boldjava

#1373: Post by Boldjava »

"That's what makes this pursuit so interesting Dave -- there is so much room for varied experiences, from roasting to brewing to different palettes!.."

Had same discussion with roasting bud on Prince Edward Island last week. Can't imagine any hobby with the breadth of topics and amount of stickiness for me -- roasting, food, sensing, friends gained, science, international trade, imagination, creativity, concern for developing world, agriculture. Game has held me captive for 15+ years.

There is:
* always the next thing which mystifies,
* captivates, drives me to learn more,
* or sends me down another rabbit hole.

-----
LMWDP #339
★ Helpful

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#1374: Post by JohnB. »

GC7 wrote:
I have 5# of this bean and that's more than enough for our needs. I'm happy at that price point esecially compared with the cup from the Burman/Royal CJ selection I tried.
What about the Royal Crown Jewel Yemen don't you like? I've found it to be a very nice traditional Yemen & I've been pulling very tasty fig jam like shots with it. I have been going for a longer development time then you seem to be using; 2:30-3:00 finishing in the lower Full City roast range. It's not a fruit bomb but it does have some nice fruit flavors.
LMWDP 267

GC7

#1375: Post by GC7 replying to JohnB. »

John

Without the now years of experience with these highly sorted Yemen's that Dave (Boldjava) turned us on to back in the GCBC days I would think the CJ was all that Yemen's were capable of giving. It's a fine coffee that I'm enjoying and will likely finish up using in a blend with ??? Brazil or Guatemala or Sumatra. The A+ and hopefully this AA+ are cleaner with more structured and defined flavors that just pop out at you. They are all heavy bodied bold coffees but the A's seem to reveal individual flavors better rather than tasting like a blend. I don't know a better way to describe it. Maybe someone else can do a better job. I would love your input if you want to try a bit. My next roast will be more like yours with more development. I thought I was being patient waiting a week to sample but perhaps this one needs to sit even longer.

Boldjava

#1376: Post by Boldjava »

JohnB. wrote:What about the Royal Crown Jewel Yemen don't you like? I've found it to be a very nice traditional Yemen & I've been pulling very tasty fig jam like shots with it. I have been going for a longer development time then you seem to be using; 2:30-3:00 finishing in the lower Full City roast range. It's not a fruit bomb but it does have some nice fruit flavors.
John, I have the coffee as well and will play with your profile a bit on my roaster to see how it plays for me. Had we seen this freight train coming, we could have set up a "Yemen Midnite Madness" thread and not gummed up this one so damned bad <winks>.
-----
LMWDP #339

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#1377: Post by JohnB. »

I'm enjoying my latest batch after only 6 days rest as both an Americano & a straight shot but I'm sure it will continue to improve. I'm not surprised that the Roastmaster's Yemen is a more unique Yemen but it also costs 50% to 100% more so you'd expect that. At $9.91 lb delivered I'm happy with the C/R batch which is more then I can say for some of the Yemen greens I've bought in the past. Hopefully the days of bean fragments & cement chips in Yemen greens are a thing of the past.
LMWDP 267

Advertisement
downy_ball

#1378: Post by downy_ball »

The first coffee I roasted was a Yemen Mokha Harasi which not only opened my eyes to roasting, but to the coffees and coffee history of Yemen. After that I roasted some Yemen Mocca Ismaili Natural, some Yemen Mocca Haimi and finally some Yemen Mocha Matari. After all of that I thought I was done with Yemen for a bit and moved over to Ethiopia, but no... everyone's saying you gotta try the Haraaz AA+, super yummy, can't believe it's still available, still developing, boozy aromatics, blah blah blah...

Ok. I'm game.
Easiest 5lbs of coffee I ever ordered :wink:
Next time someone's teaching, why don't you get taught..."

Rangen

#1379: Post by Rangen »

JohnB. wrote:What about the Royal Crown Jewel Yemen don't you like? I've found it to be a very nice traditional Yemen & I've been pulling very tasty fig jam like shots with it. I have been going for a longer development time then you seem to be using; 2:30-3:00 finishing in the lower Full City roast range. It's not a fruit bomb but it does have some nice fruit flavors.
If that's the "Rooftop Dried Natural" that they're still offering, I had been roasting it a bit lighter than that, and using French Press, and it was...OK. A bit better than OK, but not like other stunners I've had from Royal. But then I roasted it a bit darker, probably about where you are, and tried it as espresso, and it was just stunning. I can't believe how different it is.

I roasted some of the Roastmasters "Haraaz Fresh" today and will see how that goes, though I generally like Yemens better after they've had a few days to shed tannins. I did roast a touch darker than my usual, influenced by that "start of 2nd crack" roasting instruction, but I still dropped it 15 degrees below the 2nd crack point, so that's something.

mtbizzle

#1380: Post by mtbizzle »

Any rec's, especially for excellent value greens, from Happy Mug, Burman, Bodhi?

I have been looking esp. for value, flavorful/crowd pleasure type of coffee. My intention is to roast for a number of friends and family... but I always end up leaning towards pricier, unique beans :lol:
There seem to be a lot of very fresh coffees in stock.

I always love to see new rec's on here, so I'll add my two cents...

Have loved a lot of greens from happy mug lately. The la minita tarrazu :!: ... their natural guat... They recently had a natural zambia mafinga hills, WOW what a unique coffee, I had never had anything like it, it was unmistakably boozy and funky, one of those situations where it's $4/# and you wish you got 10 for $40 rather than 1. I fell in love with sweet maria's colombia urrao palomos but that's OOS.
"All people by nature desire to know" -Aristotle