Greens Alert - Page 130

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
GC7

#1291: Post by GC7 »

This is a heads up for Yemen coffee fans and anyone looking for a truly special treat. It gets more expensive every year but to my tastes better (and different) than any high price geisha I've tasted. IMO its in a different league than other Yemen offerings as well.

Roastmaster's - Yemen Haraaz Special Red Grade A+

I had some from their last offering of this a month ago and still have one more roast and a pound vacuum sealed. It was fantastic beginning 8 days rest. We were first introduced to these highly sorted A+ offerings form Boldjava at GCBC and they were great. Roastmasters has offered them the last 3 years I believe and it is equally satisfying,

tgappmayer

#1292: Post by tgappmayer replying to GC7 »

$23/lb, you're not kidding. I really loved Sweet Maria's Mokha Matari. Do you think this is worth twice the price of that coffee? Wow.

GC7

#1293: Post by GC7 replying to tgappmayer »

Cost and value on this site are very individual personal decisions. This grade coffee started about $16 per pound maybe 5 years ago. Perhaps Dave (Boldjava) could comment if he sees this.

I get more satisfaction from these ultra sorted clean very complex Yemens then I do from more expensive gesha varitals that get huge number ratings.However, all the Red Haraaz A+ Yemens I've tried were surely 90+ point coffees. I don't care for the expensive geisha's while others love them. For me, this specific Yemen coffee has been a real treat and value. Not for every day but to be able to take out a bit to roast every so often it is a treat like opening a 1990 Burgundy.

coffeemmichael

#1294: Post by coffeemmichael »

tgappmayer wrote:$23/lb, you're not kidding. I really loved Sweet Maria's Mokha Matari. Do you think this is worth twice the price of that coffee? Wow.
Yes-- it's truly special. The difference between this offering & lower priced yemenis is shocking

Roasty
Supporter ♡

#1295: Post by Roasty »

GC7 wrote: Roastmaster's - Yemen Haraaz Special Red Grade A+
Maybe the picture is an old one, but the bag shows a harvest of 2017/2018 . . .

GC7

#1296: Post by GC7 replying to Roasty »

"2019/20 crop arrived March 2020. This year we received the coffee in 32kg light canvas bags lined with grainpro. This is a very special, limited edition Haraaz Red Grade A+ from our source in Yemen. We have offered this particular coffee in previous years and it really stands head and shoulders above other coffee from Yemen albeit at a considerably higher price."

tgappmayer

#1297: Post by tgappmayer »

coffeemmichael wrote:Yes-- it's truly special. The difference between this offering & lower priced yemenis is shocking
Cool, I'm excited - I picked up 3lbs just to try. I liked SM's Mokha Matari quite a bit, and I was fine with Burman's Mokha Sanani. Excited to give this a try.

dukedevil0

#1298: Post by dukedevil0 »

heavyduty wrote:I just ordered these beans yesterday from Bodhi Leaf: https://www.bodhileafcoffee.com/collect ... ural-green
I haven't received them yet so am not sure about the florals or ease of roasting. The description does say "The resulting cup is full of assorted berries and florals".
I also purchased some of these beans: https://www.bodhileafcoffee.com/collect ... sing-green because the cupping notes and processing method intrigued me (no mention of florals).
I've bought beans from all the places you mentioned except for Royal. I think Bodhi Leaf is at least as good as Burman's and a step above Happy Mug, although I do love Happy Mugs prices!
I have my eye on those two as well. I'm very curious - how do you like them?

heavyduty

#1299: Post by heavyduty »

dukedevil0 wrote:I have my eye on those two as well. I'm very curious - how do you like them?
Short answer is I'm glad I bought them but still need to play around with them. I haven't yet given the attention they deserve. I've just done one roast of each. I roasted the Madre Laura as I would a DP Ethiopian but tried to stretch it out a little more. Not sure if this is the way to roast it but that's what I did. A straight shot of espresso was similar to an Ethiopian. It was good but I'm sure I can do better. An Americano was very tasty indeed at 3 days post roast. Berries, a little floral, milk chocolate. There are more than I'd like of small pcs. of broken beans in the bag of greens but a little sorting takes care of that. It is what it is. Still a fine tasting brew. As a side note my daughters name is Laura and is Catholic.
The other bean with the experimental processing is certainly different in a good way. I roasted it with a little more development and an espresso was thick and balanced but with flavors I can't quite explain yet. Again, I've just had one. An Americano was fruity with a complex clean finish. A lot going on with this one. I see a lot of experimenting in my future, but that's a good thing. Sorry I'm just getting back to you. I've been busy roasting for some neighbors. Things are kind of crazy these days.
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

Boldjava

#1300: Post by Boldjava »

GC7 wrote:Cost and value on this site are very individual personal decisions. This grade coffee started about $16 per pound maybe 5 years ago. Perhaps Dave (Boldjava) could comment if he sees this.
Yes, I think I laid hands on this before the home roast retailers did. Grabbed it from Cafe Imports then and offered it at cost. Let's do some math.

SCAA says there are 48 6-oz cups in a lb of coffee. We lose 15% on avg. $24/41. $.59 for a cup of some of the finest coffee in the entire world, as you wish to roast it. Is that an extravagant cost? What did you spend $.59 on today?

I prefer Yemens over Geshas. I can drink Yemens daily for their intrigue, delight, complexity, their ability to hold me. Geshas are unique but I wouldn't care to go after them day after day. I would miss depth. YMMV.

Just ordered 10 lbs, thanks GC7.'
-----
LMWDP #339