Greens Alert - Page 129

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
sambuist

#1281: Post by sambuist »

I too have been disappointed with the Geisha. I have only purchased it once (a few months ago) and felt like it tasted muted and not what I was hoping for a coffee with a score of 93. if i closed my eyes and went to a happy place i could convince myself that there where hints of earl grey and tea like qualities from this coffee which i did really like but still it wasn't as front and center as i would have expected from reading the SM overview/score.

I wouldn't buy it again unless there are user reviews saying that a new batch is truly high quality.

tgappmayer

#1282: Post by tgappmayer »

Any recommendations for floral coffees that aren't disappointing or extremely difficult to roast? I've had really decent luck with gujis from sweet maria's, but I'd like to expand my horizons a bit.

danetrainer

#1283: Post by danetrainer »

I would suggest you try some high grown micro lots from Columbia or some Panama (naturals or honey processed)

tgappmayer

#1284: Post by tgappmayer replying to danetrainer »

Thanks - do you have any recommendations as to where I might find some? I've had good experience with SM's and Royal, and neutral/mixed with Burman's and Happy Mug.

danetrainer

#1285: Post by danetrainer »

I'm well stocked so I'm not sure ATM, but I am also happy with Royal and have bought allot from them this past year,
and also the person I split greens with just sent me a message he bought the Rooftop Raised Yemen from Royal today. Not recommending that for you as it is difficult to roast Yemeni coffees well.
I would check Roastmasters, Klatch and PT's green bean selections as they source well in those type of coffees, the downside is pricing is sometimes higher.

heavyduty

#1286: Post by heavyduty »

I just ordered these beans yesterday from Bodhi Leaf: https://www.bodhileafcoffee.com/collect ... ural-green
I haven't received them yet so am not sure about the florals or ease of roasting. The description does say "The resulting cup is full of assorted berries and florals".
I also purchased some of these beans: https://www.bodhileafcoffee.com/collect ... sing-green because the cupping notes and processing method intrigued me (no mention of florals).
I've bought beans from all the places you mentioned except for Royal. I think Bodhi Leaf is at least as good as Burman's and a step above Happy Mug, although I do love Happy Mugs prices!
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

tgappmayer

#1287: Post by tgappmayer replying to heavyduty »

Thanks for the recommendation - would you say that they are as good as Sweet Maria's? Close?

With free shipping over $59, I couldn't resist - got both of those Colombians and also a Burundi to try as well.

heavyduty

#1288: Post by heavyduty »

tgappmayer wrote:would you say that they are as good as Sweet Maria's? Close?
Uh-oh! :lol: I'll just say that I buy more beans from SM than any other but definitely keep Bodhi Leaf on my short list of suppliers. I've had great beans from all those mentioned. I love naturals and look over all these websites (especially when the Ethiopians first start rolling out) before placing an order. I love doing the research before my purchase. I haven't really had any bad experience from any of these suppliers. It's just too bad my favorite beans are some of the hardest to roast. :cry: I would suggest getting on the mailing list of these suppliers to get a heads up on new beans and even some discount codes or sales occasionally.
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#1289: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

heavyduty wrote: I would suggest getting on the mailing list of these suppliers to get a heads up on new beans and even some discount codes or sales occasionally.
Put your calendars the Black Friday SM sale. Run low and buy and stock up then.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#1290: Post by JohnB. »

danetrainer wrote:I'm well stocked so I'm not sure ATM, but I am also happy with Royal and have bought allot from them this past year,
and also the person I split greens with just sent me a message he bought the Rooftop Raised Yemen from Royal today.
I've got a box of that Yemen arriving in a few days. https://royalcoffee.com/product/cj1337/ It will be nice to have some good Yemen greens back in the freezer again!
LMWDP 267