Greens Alert - Page 125

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
drgary
Team HB

#1241: Post by drgary »

drgary wrote:I picked up a couple of pounds along with a Pacamara and others. I look forward to seeing your notes on it.
GC7 wrote:I haven't figured out how to roast Pacamara's to my liking. I picked up some FINCA VISTA HERMOSA, HueHuetanango and some FRAIJANES PREMIUM FLAT FINCA DE DIOS that seemed particularly nice to hold me till the next crop.
The Guatemalan Premium San Miguel Bonanza Pacamara is delicious. My first roast nailed it. I dropped it when it started to flick, and it's sweet, chocolatey, with gentle balancing acidity at City+ roast level. It's not "roasty." Here's the Artisan graph. I wonder whether the flick is exaggerated when there's a change at a relatively slow ROR.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

farmroast (original poster)

#1242: Post by farmroast (original poster) »

Panama Esmeralda Gesha washed, at Sweet Maria's
Been awhile since they have offered an Esmeralda Gesha, nice price.
https://www.sweetmarias.com/panama-esme ... -6371.html
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

Roasty
Supporter ♡

#1243: Post by Roasty replying to farmroast »

Am I missing something? That seems like a killer price. Went in for 2lbs.

Avast

#1244: Post by Avast »

farmroast wrote:Panama Esmeralda Gesha washed, at Sweet Maria's
Been awhile since they have offered an Esmeralda Gesha, nice price.
https://www.sweetmarias.com/panama-esme ... -6371.html
"Arrival date: August 2019 "

Yeah, no thanks. I hate when Sweet Maria's does this. The other greens sellers offer coffee right after it arrives. Only Sweet Maria's will list a 6-month old coffee as a "new arrival." Gesha in particular does not do well with age.

barqy

#1245: Post by barqy replying to Avast »

make sense.

i saw an ethiopian kochore and guji hambela (both washed) that scored 92+ for both, but the arrival date was june 2019. would the arrival dates be that detrimental? I'm tempted to buy around 10lbs each based on their descriptions. I usually vacuum seal my greens in mason jars as I don't roast as much as some here.

thanks for the input.

Avast

#1246: Post by Avast replying to barqy »

The coffee will probably taste good since the beans are coming from quality estates, but it will taste nothing like a fresh Ethiopian coffee in June. Most of the floral and berry notes will be lost.

I recommend buying beans when they are freshest and then freezing most of them. Keep out only what you plan to roast in the next month or so. I don't vacuum, but I think that is a good idea in addition to freezing. I will probably start vacuuming and freezing my more valuable coffee beans.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#1247: Post by mkane »

Heck, there all valuable. Just what is shelf life expectancy?

TomC
Team HB

#1248: Post by TomC »

Today, Sweet Maria's will release another allotment of their Panama Geisha (washed) that sold out its 600kg shipment in a single day.

I inquired about the grade of the crop, since it was only listed as "estate" grade. They clarified that the last bit they obtained is all higher than 1500 MASL and will simple be graded as SHB.

I appreciate their efforts to communicate well and follow thru with concerns. Stay tuned today if you missed it the first time. I haven't roasted mine yet, but I bought 2 pounds that have been sitting here all week.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

thirdcrackfourthwave

#1249: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

mkane wrote:Heck, there all valuable. Just what is shelf life expectancy?
I think it is variable and depends not only on the coffee but how it is handled after the cherry is picked. Sorry if this isn't helpful but. . . . there is a lot of speculation out there on some of the factors and it isn't all that clear to me. Suffice it to say I've had coffee that has seemed pretty good after quite a while after arrival.

I also don't think it is uncommon, particularly for some regions, at least in the past, to get the beans to market as quickly as we, or professional roasters, would like.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#1250: Post by mkane »