Greens Alert - Page 124

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#1231: Post by TomC »

sambuist wrote: I actually purchased some as well. And yes it has some nice subtle tea notes. Very earl grey in fact, but I would hate to buy this at full roasted price.
I've passed on the Guatemalan Acetenango Geisha from SM for the past 2 years I think. I ran almost a dozen profiles on previous harvests and never got anything really impressive. Subsequent years just got less and less impressive since ~2013. Whereas it was a stunning value about 6-7 years ago, I think those days are behind us. Hard too, as an end-point buyer, when you see the cupping scores stay the same (93-ish) the whole time. You could trip and blindly stumble your way into to a stunning roast of the older crop.

Neither the Colombian nor Guatemalan Geshas from Bodhi Leaf this summer were all that much to get excited about either. I still have some waiting to get used up.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#1232: Post by pcofftenyo »

I'm in on Slim's Colo Gesha. A new profile/cup thread would be nice since there may be a few of us on it. Will post something up when mine arrives.

In Re special coffee: Sometimes I "get" what all the fuss is about, other times, not so much. Washed African's is where I get a little lost with their clarity and subtlety. Ironic in a way.

GC7

#1233: Post by GC7 »

TomC wrote: Neither the Colombian nor Guatemalan Geshas from Bodhi Leaf this summer were all that much to get excited about either. I still have some waiting to get used up.
The last of my Colombia Queen Geisha from Burman is roasted and in my freezer waiting to be brewed. It's a good to very good bean but perhaps my roasting is not up to snuff. It doesn't wow me. It's certainly IMO not up to the Colombia COE #16 or a Pink Bourbon from Bodhi Leaf (maybe still available and recommended).

I too agree with the Guat Geisha from SM. It disappointed for a couple of years and I passed last couple of years.

edit: This is the one I had previously recommended. Still available. https://www.bodhileafcoffee.com/collect ... rbon-green

rbk

#1234: Post by rbk »

It seemed like quite a lot of moderately-priced geshas ($10-20/lb) have been showing up at resellers over the past year or so. I've nabbed a pound or two of many of them, but I've yet to feel they were worth the price tag. The last gesha I was really wowed by was the 2018 crop of this coffee, though if others are getting good results it's completely possible my gesha-roasting skills aren't doing them justice :D

TomC
Team HB

#1235: Post by TomC »

GC7 wrote:The last of my Colombia Queen Geisha from Burman is roasted and in my freezer waiting to be brewed. It's a good to very good bean but perhaps my roasting is not up to snuff. It doesn't wow me. It's certainly IMO not up to the Colombia COE #16 or a Pink Bourbon from Bodhi Leaf (maybe still available and recommended).

I too agree with the Guat Geisha from SM. It disappointed for a couple of years and I passed last couple of years.

edit: This is the one I had previously recommended. Still available. https://www.bodhileafcoffee.com/collect ... rbon-green
Our likes/dislikes might be pretty well aligned. I bought a fair bit of that pink bourbon and found it superior to the geishas.

For these unimpressive geshas, I'm somewhat at a loss for an explanation. We all know that processing, handling etc at the farm and the mill play a major role in quality. I highly doubt that a farm like the Acetenango Geisha is cutting corners on processing. And even if they were being less strict in order to increase crop yield, I doubt it would have the significant effect many of us have seen the past few years in the cup.

Like most, I look for altitude when considering a gesha coffee, and past success to make a buying decision. Even that is becoming a bit unreliable.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#1236: Post by pcofftenyo »

rbk wrote:It seemed like quite a lot of moderately-priced geshas ($10-20/lb) have been showing up at resellers over the past year or so. I've nabbed a pound or two of many of them, but I've yet to feel they were worth the price tag. The last gesha I was really wowed by was the 2018 crop of this coffee, though if others are getting good results it's completely possible my gesha-roasting skills aren't doing them justice :D
Is a +1 an appropriate response, as it seems to mirror what others are saying?

I've been more fond of Pacamaras than Geisha's the last couple years tbh.

Didn't get in on the pink Bourbon but the Bourbon varietal grown at a good altitude under shade and well attended to can produce a fine cup on its own.

Ally had an awesome Orange Bourbon and the US Barista Championships this year FWIW. It was sold out but I would have been down for a bag.

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#1237: Post by pcofftenyo »

jammin wrote:thanks, Tom. i got the email for this but passed it over based on lack of insight. went in for 5lbs. if anyone stumbles on a killer roast profile please share it
Here's something I may start with. It's from a mighty sweet Honey Gesha that I just roasted in preparation for this Colo Gesha.

drgary
Team HB

#1238: Post by drgary »

I saw this Panama Elida natural offered by Klatch, ordered a bag of it roasted and 10 lbs of green to play with:

https://www.klatchroasting.com/products ... 4902888537

https://www.klatchroasting.com/collecti ... 1247464537
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Rickpatbrown

#1239: Post by Rickpatbrown »

GC7 wrote:The last of my Colombia Queen Geisha from Burman is roasted and in my freezer waiting to be brewed. It's a good to very good bean but perhaps my roasting is not up to snuff. It doesn't wow me. It's certainly IMO not up to the Colombia COE #16 or a Pink Bourbon from Bodhi Leaf (maybe still available and recommended).

I took your recommendation and bought 5lbs of the pink bourbon. Roasted it last night, just past 1st crack. Chemex this morning(12hrs later) was pretty nice. Lota of chocolate milk as it cooled. Lost some flavor as got to room temp.

My ROR flattened a bit too much and I didn't get any fruit, just a little acidity. Nice body and the chocolate milk was awesome. Probably overdeveloped. I'll charge higher and move quicker next roast. I look forward to dialing this one in.

Bunkmil

#1240: Post by Bunkmil »

Anyone had a good decaf lately ?