Greens Alert - Page 122

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#1211: Post by TomC » Oct 21, 2019, 1:01 am

Ten pounds with a bread machine/ heat gun will give you ample opportunity to get it dialed in. I'd focus on the faster shorter roasts and leave all the comical intensity preserved. You don't gain much roasting a high quality natural processed Ethiopian into further degrees of development. All the amazing stuff is showing it's best with a light, fast roast.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#1212: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave » Oct 21, 2019, 1:54 am

Rickpatbrown wrote:https://www.sweetmarias.com/ethiopia-dr ... -6242.html

We bought 10lbs of this bean because it looks amazing. First roast, great. I totally got the pinapple hard candy note. Although, we may have drawn things out a little too long and lost some of the origin notes.

Second roast -horrible. Smelled like sulfur. It was undrinkable. We didn't do anything crazy. It was about a 11minute roast. I have been unable to hear 1st crack on these guys. The roast looked slightly uneven with more pale beans than usual.

Third roast- took to second crack. Bad idea. I'm not drinking this burnt coffee.

Fourth roast- Better than the second, but I still smell some sulfury aromas. Profile was very similar to the previous ones.

I was hoping we just got a stinker in the second roast and it was a one off. The third one being a little weird too has me worried.

I've done multiple roasts in between of different beans that have come out just fine.
I've only roasted a half pound batch; about 7 and a half minutes or so (sorry it has been several weeks--I know it was fairly quick) to city/city +. I waited a few days, pulled a couple of shots and ordered five more pounds. DW and I thought it was very nice.

drgary
Team HB

#1213: Post by drgary » Oct 21, 2019, 2:17 am

TomC wrote:You don't gain much roasting a high quality natural processed Ethiopian into further degrees of development. All the amazing stuff is showing it's best with a light, fast roast.
Tom, how fast would you go with an overbuilt propane roaster like a TJ-067?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

TomC
Team HB

#1214: Post by TomC » replying to drgary » Oct 21, 2019, 7:56 am

Every roaster is going to put out slightly different results even with matched profiles, but I tend to aim for a slightly quicker drying phase (as much as I can get away with, without roast defects), similarly fast ramp to 1C and about 45 seconds from the onset of 1C till drop. If I'm playing around with profiles, most of my adjustments are to the later part of the profile and seeing what yields the most impressive brew.
★ Helpful

drgary
Team HB

#1215: Post by drgary » Oct 21, 2019, 10:26 am

Thanks, Tom. This is the start of a very helpful discussion. I've started a new thread to keep the Greens Alert thread on track.

Tips for roasting an Ethiopian natural
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Rickpatbrown

#1216: Post by Rickpatbrown » Oct 21, 2019, 10:10 pm

TomC wrote:Ten pounds with a bread machine/ heat gun will give you ample opportunity to get it dialed in. I'd focus on the faster shorter roasts and leave all the comical intensity preserved. You don't gain much roasting a high quality natural processed Ethiopian into further degrees of development. All the amazing stuff is showing it's best with a light, fast roast.
Ok. I will definitely try this.
Do you have any idea were the awful sulfur smell/flavor is coming from?

What does a "stinker" smell/taste like?

GC7

#1217: Post by GC7 » Nov 08, 2019, 8:05 pm

Get it while you can. Only 70 pounds available from Burman minus my small purchase.

GUATEMALAN PREMIUM HUEHUE. FINCA VILLAURE COE #5 WINNER

This was actually the top scoring non-geisha, non-Pacamara bean variety.

I ordered a couple of other Guatemalian coffees that looked great as well.

Bunkmil

#1218: Post by Bunkmil » Nov 08, 2019, 9:08 pm

Sweet Maria's just received a 93 points Kenyan.

Sadly I am not in the US right now so I can't place an order :cry:.

If someone is coming to Canada shortly pm me...

https://www.sweetmarias.com/kenya-gatan ... -6254.html

jevenator

#1219: Post by jevenator » Nov 08, 2019, 10:32 pm

Kenya Kirinyaga Kambumbu

Also this guy, it's a 92.5, I got 5lbs of it and will report back.
No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good.
― C.S. Lewis

Zaneemomo

#1220: Post by Zaneemomo » Nov 10, 2019, 3:51 pm

SM already sold out...