Greens Alert - Page 121

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
IMAWriter

#1201: Post by IMAWriter »

Boldjava wrote:Two new crop Yemeni in hand; split in the land of the sky blue water.
'1 SM Moka Mattari, size 14. Stellar 14s. https://www.sweetmarias.com/yemen-mokha ... -6126.html
'2. URoastEm, Moka Haraaz AA+, from Cafe Imports, I assume. https://www.sweetmarias.com/yemen-mokha ... -6126.html[*]
Both are just stellar clean as a I have seen a Yemen. In a pickle with a bad hip surgery. Undergoing revision surgery tomorrow.

Friend is roasting them for me this weekend.
Sheesh, Dave. Give me your shoulders, I'll give you my hip...prayers up pal.
RJ

Boldjava

#1202: Post by Boldjava »

In a couple of years we can petition Dan to have a forum dedicated to nursing home residents. Special coupons, special ads, etc.

Thanks for prayers. Needed Badly.
-----
LMWDP #339

IMAWriter

#1203: Post by IMAWriter »

Boldjava wrote:In a couple of years we can petition Dan to have a forum dedicated to nursing home residents. Special coupons, special ads, etc.
:lol:
As to Yemeni coffee, I've not really liked them much since that last year SM's had Ismaili. That stuff smelled like what I imagine an Arabian bazaar would smell like..cinnamon, cardamom, figs, etc...something special..like the SM Lot 30 Harar a dozen years ago.
Those SM Yemen descriptors DO look enticing.

[creative nickname]

#1204: Post by [creative nickname] »

Yikes Dave-I hope the procedure goes well and you get a full recovery with that hip. And thanks for the tip about the Yemens, of course. Hang in there!!
LMWDP #435

Boldjava

#1205: Post by Boldjava replying to [creative nickname] »

Thank you. This has been a difficult one but I and many are praying for a more successful outcome with the revisions surgery. Full speed ahead
-----
LMWDP #339

winslette

#1206: Post by winslette »

IMAWriter wrote::lol:
As to Yemeni coffee, I've not really liked them much since that last year SM's had Ismaili. That stuff smelled like what I imagine an Arabian bazaar would smell like..cinnamon, cardamom, figs, etc...something special..like the SM Lot 30 Harar a dozen years ago.
Those SM Yemen descriptors DO look enticing.
I've had the Mokha Matari and their descriptions are spot on for it. It was especially nice as a French press to accentuate the body. I imagine it would make a super complex pour over with the right temperature to not pull out too much bitterness from roasting it darker.

btreichel

#1207: Post by btreichel »

Sorry to hear about the hip Dave, and I did grab the yemen.

rgrosz

#1208: Post by rgrosz »

Dave I hope the "hip revision" goes well for you. I also grabbed that Yemen Mokha.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

Chert

#1209: Post by Chert »

Boldjava wrote:We divvied it up in MN. It is a BIG morning coffee. I would give it about an 85. A good coffee but I am surprised they moved it with their Jewels.
I hope you find yourself well, fit and testing flavors with the gophers soon - sorry you needed hip surgery. I hope it helps and you recovery quickly. I do quite like the Jewel Vohora, but the coffee Northbound roasted in their Headstash program was the same origin not the same lot, but the peaberry. Roasted light, those beans are almost micro moka small and the flavors are sweet, mild, honey-toffee. Keith did a nice job on the roast.
LMWDP #198

Rickpatbrown

#1210: Post by Rickpatbrown »

https://www.sweetmarias.com/ethiopia-dr ... -6242.html

We bought 10lbs of this bean because it looks amazing. First roast, great. I totally got the pinapple hard candy note. Although, we may have drawn things out a little too long and lost some of the origin notes.

Second roast -horrible. Smelled like sulfur. It was undrinkable. We didn't do anything crazy. It was about a 11minute roast. I have been unable to hear 1st crack on these guys. The roast looked slightly uneven with more pale beans than usual.

Third roast- took to second crack. Bad idea. I'm not drinking this burnt coffee.

Fourth roast- Better than the second, but I still smell some sulfury aromas. Profile was very similar to the previous ones.

I was hoping we just got a stinker in the second roast and it was a one off. The third one being a little weird too has me worried.

I've done multiple roasts in between of different beans that have come out just fine.