Greens Alert - Page 120

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
STG

#1191: Post by STG »

jammin wrote:Get it while ya can, kiddos.
https://royalcoffee.com/product/cjo1301/

Berry forward, Natural Ethiopian. High density & med/small screen size - should be a piece of cake to roast. The last time they posted a coffee like this was in 2017 and it was INCREDIBLE!
I ended up getting a bunch of this and I'm having a hard time getting a decent roast out of it. Can you give me some pointers?

[creative nickname]

#1192: Post by [creative nickname] »

I've been roasting this one with good success; I'll share a profile once I get home. If you want to start a roasting thread on this coffee I can post it there, which might be better as it avoids cluttering the greens thread.
LMWDP #435

rbk

#1193: Post by rbk »

jammin wrote:92.4pt Natural Ethiopian up at Sweet Marias. Even with the 2pt cupper's correction it's still over 90. Whenever Sweetness AND Flavor are both 9 or above it's an automatic buy for me. Every coffee i've picked up from them that meets that criteria has been an absolute winner in my experience. Normally I get 5lb bags but am hopefull that ill be glad I ordered 10lbs.

Ethiopia Dry Process Guji Gerbicho Rogicha

cheers,
~j
This coffee is wild! Super sweet, when it cooled to just above room temp it tasted practically like a mug of pineapple/mango juice.

drgary
Team HB

#1194: Post by drgary »

I have some on the way.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

treq10

#1195: Post by treq10 »

rbk wrote:This coffee is wild! Super sweet, when it cooled to just above room temp it tasted practically like a mug of pineapple/mango juice.
Mind sharing some roasting tips? For some reason, I am having trouble with this coffee...Maybe it's the weather change here in NJ that I'm not properly accounting for...

rbk

#1196: Post by rbk replying to treq10 »

I'm cautious to share the specific profile, as I recently jumped to a new roaster and I still don't fully understand some of its finer points (notably: infrared BT vs. BT probe measurements, which ones I should be paying attention to and when). But for this coffee I ended up going with a light/fast profile that has tended to work well for me on fruity naturals. 3/4/2 (dry/ramp/dev, 9:11 total time), linear RoR from TP to drop, low fan until ~10F or so before FC then crank it to medium/high, dropped the coffee at 15F past FC temp (as FC was winding down but hadn't fully stopped).
★ Helpful

treq10

#1197: Post by treq10 replying to rbk »

Thanks - this is very helpful. Very different approach to roasting than mine, but I can see how it works and can give incredible origin qualities in the cup. I may have to try this approach for the Rogicha as I am finding my cups to not be intense enough.

Rickpatbrown

#1198: Post by Rickpatbrown »

Boldjava wrote:Curious how it turned out. I quit buying this particular Gesha after solid disappointment 3 various years.
I've done two roasts on this one. The first was dropped way to early, right after end of 1st crack. Pretty sour in the cup especially as it cooled.
The second roast was last night, it went too fast (9.5min total time instead of a prefered 11-12). The roast level was better, but I think I had uneven roasting/development.

I tried the second roast in aeropress this morning (12hrs rest). I suspect it will clear up in a day or so, but I don't really get anything phenomenal from this bean. It's good, but not mindblowing like I was expecting.

Take this with a grain of salt. I REALLY don't know what I'm talking about :o

Done on a breadmachine/variable temp heatgun/lid set up with TC4 artisan temp monitoring.

winslette

#1199: Post by winslette replying to Rickpatbrown »

I found it to be very one dimensional. If you want some jasmine florals with a tea like taste, that is what it is. I didn't find much complexity as it cooled. That is just me though, I am no roasting master.

Boldjava

#1200: Post by Boldjava »

Two new crop Yemeni in hand; split in the land of the sky blue water.
'1 SM Moka Mattari, size 14. Stellar 14s. https://www.sweetmarias.com/yemen-mokha ... -6126.html
'2. URoastEm, Moka Haraaz AA+, from Cafe Imports, I assume. https://u-roast-em.com/product/yemen-haraaz-aa/
Both are just stellar clean as a I have seen a Yemen. In a pickle with a bad hip surgery. Undergoing revision surgery tomorrow.

Friend is roasting them for me this weekend.
-----
LMWDP #339